Building record MYO1506 - THE PHOENIX PUBLIC HOUSE
|Grid reference||SE 6079 5129 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Public house. Late C18, remodelled 1897. Orange-brown brick, front and sides of incised stucco, rear in English garden-wall bond; timber inn front; pantile roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay front. Inn front framed in plain pilasters supporting moulded cornice rising as shaped gablets over pilaster heads: 6-panel door with small-pane overlight to left of 3-light window with coloured glass transom lights over tiled riser. To left of inn front, segmental carriage arch closed by paired slatted gates. First floor windows are 2-light bays on brackets, with casements. Shaped inn sign above carriage arch. Rear: 2 storeys 3 windows behind 1-storey lean-to. Windows are 1-pane sashes. INTERIOR: side corridor plan with front bar and stand-up lobby survives, with dividing glazed screen. The Phoenix is the last surviving pub inside the City walls which served the cattle market, held within Fishergate Bar until 1827. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 135).
Listing NGR: SE6079651291
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
NMR related object BF060580 THE PHOENIX INN, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued. Copyright, date, and quantity information for this record may be incomplete or inaccurate.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 1 2020 9:14AM