Building record MYO1489 - 6, 8, and 10 Goodramgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6053 5223 (17m by 21m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Coaching inn, now shops and flats. Late C18 incorporating late C17 wing at rear; late C19 alterations and C20 shopfronts.
MATERIALS: stucco front with timber shopfronts and eaves cornice of painted cogged brick; rear wing of orange-brown brick in stretcher bond on partly rendered plinth, raised in orange-pink brick with heavy brick dentils. Main roof is slate with brick stacks and roof lights; wing has pantile roof with brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-windowed front. 5 windows on first floor. All upper floor windows are 4-pane sashes with sills, one towards left of second floor blocked: blind panel for inn sign in centre of first floor. Right return of front block: mutilated 3-light mullioned window with hollow-chamfered surround and one brick mullion survives on first floor. Most openings to wing altered but first floor has 2-light square lattice window with inserted casement on half-L hinges.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The inn was the Red Lion coaching house for Helmsley and Malton.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 141). Listing NGR: SE6053652232
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, No. 6, 8, 10, now a range of three shops with flats above, occupy the site of the Red Lion Inn which appears on John Cossins' map of c. 1722 and on the OS map of 1852. The present range to the street, however, is of late 18th-century date with 19th-century modifications and the only surviving part which antedates 1722 is a 17th-century range to the rear of No. 6. The inn was a coaching house serving Helmsley and Malton and had stables on the opposite side of the street (T. P. Cooper, The Old Inns and Inn Signs of York (1897), 67); when offered for sale in 1866, stabling for eleven horses was advertised (YG, 22 Dec. 1866). It appears with a courtyard, and apparently a corresponding courtyard on the opposite side of Goodramgate, on Thomas Jefferys' map of 1772. Between 1790 and 1818, it was kept by members of the Pearson family and in 1828 and 1830 Richard Chapman is listed as the occupier (YCA, E95, ff. 89b, 189b; Directories). It had closed by 1897 (Cooper, op. cit.)
Monument 207: City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 141
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060609 6-10 GOODRAMGATE, YOK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2020 2:31PM