Building record MYO1485 - The Salvation Army Citadel, 66 Gillygate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6021 5248 (37m by 35m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Salvation army citadel. 1882-3. Designed by EJ Sherwood of London and built by J Flint and John Lumley. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables and ball finials.
EXTERIOR: street front 2 storeys, 9 bays. Slightly projecting centre with segment-arched central opening with iron gates; above there is a plaque inscribed "SALVATION ARMY", then a pair of round headed casement windows with a segment-headed arch. Above, a small central gable inscribed "ERECTED 1882". Either side are 2 staggered staircase windows with chamfered ashlar lintels. Above, 2 similar windows, the whole topped by battlements. Either side are recessed 2-bay wings with single doorways with overlights, and single casements; above, 2 pairs of casements with chamfered ashlar lintels, and above again circular panels with painted coats-of-arms.
INTERIOR: retains a gallery around the north, east and south sides supported on segment-headed arches with square chamfered columns and iron bracketed capitals. Upper arcades also have segmental brick arches with chamfered square columns. Raised platform and reading desks have been brought forward, and lower galleries screened off.
Listing NGR: SE6022152481
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
An inventory of nonconformist chapels and meeting-houses in the north of England 1994 by Christopher Stell p.190
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060246 Salvation Army Citadel, York
VF000032 Chapels of England Items in this file were created digitally and have not been printed.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2020 6:50PM