Building record MYO1481 - 49-51 Goodramgate, The Wealden Hall
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6048 5209 (19m by 12m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: Nos.37 AND 38 GOODRAMGATE. Shop and offices. c1500; restored, new shopfronts installed and cross wing extended 1930-31 by Brierley and Rutherford. Timber-framed with plaster or rendered infill; hall partly restored in orange brick in English garden-wall bond, extended in same brick in stretcher bond: pantile roofs with rebuilt brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: front range 2 bays of 4-bay range shared with No.47 (qv); 4-bay Wealden Hall behind, separately framed. 3-storey 2-bay front with exposed timber-frame. First and second floors are jettied, second floor jetty dropped at left end to form oriel window supported on renewed coved brackets: first floor jetty plate moulded and embattled. Ground floor has rebated passage opening beneath porch and two shopfronts with glazed and panelled doors and plate glass windows. On upper floors, windows are square latticed casements, of 2 lights on first floor, 6 lights to oriel and 3 lights on second floor. Post on first floor has plastered head dated 1700, initialled IAT. Wealden Hall: 2-storey front; 2-bay hall flanked by 1-bay crosswings with jettied first floors. Wing to left has board door in shouldered opening and two 2-light casement windows on first floor: wing to right has mullioned windows on ground floor and transomed window on first floor. Hall has two full-height mullioned windows, of 6 lights and 3 lights; coved eaves to oversailing wall plate. Windows have square lattice glazing and mullions are diamond-section.
INTERIOR: framing is complete though heavily restored. The Wealden Hall is a rare northern example of a medieval building type more usually found in the south of England. This is also a very good example of early C20 restoration, here carried out by the important local architects Brierley and Rutherford.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 138-140). Listing NGR: SE6047852094
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Hall Range. No. 51 has a two-bay open hall flanked by two-storey bays at each end with the upper floors jettied on the N. elevation only. On this elevation the hall has two tall windows of three and six lights respectively with diamond mullions, all of them restorations; the wall is connected by a cove to an oversailing wall-plate. In the bay at the E. end, the doorway to the screens passage has an incorrectly restored head; the ground floor is otherwise mostly of modern brick; the framing of the jettied first floor has downward bracing and is extensively restored. The W. bay is also much restored and partly covered by a modern staircase wing; on the ground floor is a window with renewed diamond mullions. In the S. wall of the house there is no evidence of windows; the framing has a rail at first-floor level and a middle rail higher up, with studs forming tall panels, and with bracing to the wall-plate only in the end bays. The central open truss of the hall (Plate 128) has restored arch-braces below the cambered tie-beam and kerb-principals supporting sidepurlins. The E. partition wall of the hall is modern below the cross-beam; above, it has downward bracing and vertical studs of which the central one is much thicker. On the W. side of the hall, the ground floor is open and the framed wall above the cross-beam is mostly restored. The truss at the E. end of the range is mostly lost, but joints in the posts and cross-beam make it clear that the original building continued onwards; the existing half-bay extension with brick walls is a rebuild of 1930 of similar work probably of the 18th century. At the W. end the framing is not closed, indicating that the front range is of earlier date. The roofs of the E. and W. bays are modern.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 138-140; Monument 194
(SE 60485209-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. GOODRAMGATE 5343 (east side)
Nos 49 and 51 (formerly listed as Nos 37 and 38)
SE 6052 SW 27/248 14.6.54
Late C15 or early C16 with later alterations. Exposed timber frame; 3 storeys; over-sailing upper storeys; 2 modern windows with canted oriel at 1st storey; corbel with initials T.I.A. and
date 1700; lead-lined wood eaves gutter; pantiles. No 51, comprising the hall range has a 2-bay open hall and oversailing upper storeys on north side. The interior has some exposed timber framing. With No 47 (q.v.) originally formed part of a small complex. (RCHM Vol. V, Monument 194.)
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p 115 City of York, June 1983
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060870 THE ANGLERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2020 4:18PM