Building record MYO1475 - 41-45 Goodramgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6048 5211 (15m by 17m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- SHOP (C1500, Medieval - 1480 AD to 1520 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (C1500, Medieval - 1480 AD to 1520 AD)
- SHOP (Early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- SHOP (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- SHOP (Mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- RESTAURANT (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- SHOP (Restored 1929, C20 - 1929 AD to 1929 AD)
Formerly known as: Nos.32-35 GOODRAMGATE. Two shops and restaurant. c1500 with early C17 extension; Nos 41 and 43 remodelled in mid C19 and early C19 respectively; further alterations and extensions in C20; No.45 restored 1929 by Brierley and Rutherford.
MATERIALS: timber-framed, frame and plaster infilling exposed on front of No.45; No.41 refronted in painted brick in Flemish bond, No.43 in orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond. Tile and pantile roofs with brick stack. 5-bay front range of tenements with 3-bay hall at left rear and 2-bay wing, probably rebuilt, at right rear.
EXTERIOR: No.41: 3 storeys and attic; 1-window front. C19 shopfront with sunk panel pilasters and projecting cornice between entablature blocks with carved gablet caps; C20 glazed door and 2-light window. Window on first floor is 3-light square bay with dentilled cornice; on second floor, 1-pane sash with painted flat arch of gauged brick; to attic single fixed light beneath boarded eaves. No.43: 3-storey 1-window front. C20 shopfront has recessed panelled door with lozenge-patterned glazing and divided overlight to left of plate glass transom window. First floor has 16-pane sash, second floor 12-pane sash, both with painted sills and flat arches; small inserted sash window at right of second floor. Exterior of No.45: 3 storeys and attic; 3-window front. First and second floors are jettied, second floor jetty dropped at left end to form a deep porch over entrance, supported on partly restored curved brackets. Double doors are glazed and panelled and shop windows have small-pane glazing.
On first floor, windows over porch are paired casements and, to right, two oriels of 3 mullioned lights; on second floor, three pairs of casements; in attic, three half-hipped dormers with 2-light casement windows. Rear: 2 storeys, 2 bays, with gabled crosswing projecting at right; timber-frame exposed. Ground floor of wing obscured by C20 extension: windows are mullioned, of 2, 3 or 4 lights. All mullions are timber and windows have square leaded lights.
INTERIOR: timber-frame, approximately 75 percent intact, but heavily restored in places, survives in all parts of the building. No.41 has simple cornice and plain fireplace on first floor. Range represents the survival of an apparently rare building type of which few other examples were known nationally at time of the survey. An incomplete example is represented by Nos 28, 30 and 32 Coppergate, York (qv).
Nos 41 and 43 were listed on 19/08/71.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 136). Listing NGR: SE6048252117
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, Nos. 41, 43, 45, consist of a three-storey timber-framed range (marked A on plan) parallel to the street, built in the late 15th or early 16th century, and two framed ranges (B and C) behind, B of about the same date as A but single-storeyed and open to the roof like a hall; C, of two storeys and attic, was built in the early 17th century. B and C are separated from A by a gap of about 6 to 10 ft., which was infilled probably at an early date; a passageway also led through both A and C. A sketch of c. 1800 (YCL, Evelyn Coll., 380) shows its street front rendered with plaster, and with Georgian shop win dows and several windows with leaded glazing on the upper floors. The two N. bays of A, which form separate tenements, were refronted in brick at two separate dates in the 19th century. When photographed c. 1900 the surviving framed part was still plastered and had sash windows. There was a very thorough restoration in 1929 (Brierley and Rutherford, architects) when the framing of the front wall was exposed, the windows were altered, many later partitions inside were removed and the ground-floor passageway was closed. The greater part of the building is now occupied as a cafe but there are two separate shops.
The front range A is five bays in length and of these the three S. bays retain the framed front wall with two jettied upper floors; the bay size is irregular on the ground and first floors because of the central passageway. The jettied walls have lodged sill-plates and framing characterised by double downward braces (Fig. 3g). On the ground floor is a large modern shop window and the doorway to the former passage; the latter has flanking posts with greatly enlarged heads and curved brackets fixed to them to support an oriel above. The windows in the framed walls are all modern restorations, apparently in original positions, and one window has 1 in. square sockets for mullions in the soffit of the beam over. The roof is covered with pantiles and plain tiles and has three modern dormer windows, giving a false impression of an attic though the second floor is actually open to the roof. The two N. bays had the overhanging jetties removed when they were refronted in brick.
No. 41 has a four-storeyed elevation with a large bay window on the first floor; No. 43 is three-storeyed within the same overall height, the floor levels having been altered internally, and has sash windows with flat arches of common brick. The original rear wall of the range has posts rising the full height of three storeys but much of the studwork and infilling has been removed; some upward bracing survives from posts to rails and wall-plate. On the upper floors the second and third bays from the S. end were combined to form single rooms but otherwise there were partitions and closed trusses separating the bays; the partition walls are formed of 4½ in. studs with upward braces from the rear posts and downward braces from the front posts. The first floor is supported by joists spanning between the front and rear walls but the second floor has also spine-beams; in No. 43, which is the second bay from the N., the original floors have been removed and new ones inserted at different levels. The roof structure consists of side-purlins supported by braced raking struts and the closed trusses have braced false crown-posts. All fittings not part of the original building were removed in 1929 but on the N. wall of the large first-floor room of No. 45 is a scratching 'Marmaduke Buckle' and the dates 1698, 1715.
The hall-like range B, behind Nos. 41, 43, was aligned beside the through passageway; it is three bays long and of irregular plan shape, being much wider at the W. end than the E. As the W. truss is not closed, the range may originally have been four bays long, extending as far as the rear wall of the front range A; alternatively, the link block between the two ranges may precede B. The framing of the N. wall stands on a 3 ft. high solid wall and each bay is divided horizontally by a middle rail. In the S. wall only the upper part is original, the framing in the bays consisting of widely-spaced studs and upward bracing; the lower parts of the posts are modern and the walling between them has been removed. The E. end wall has been much restored and has modern windows; the W. wall is plastered and has no visible framing. The open roof is similar in construction to that of range A, with side-purlins supported by braced raking struts standing on cambered tie-beams and with common rafters with collars.
The early 17th-century rear range C is two bays long and has a span of 18 ft.; it was built with a single room on each of the two floors and the attic is original. The framing has long straight bracing; on the E. wall, which is the only external wall and much restored, the braces are disposed downwards from the posts to the middle rail, but on the W. and S. walls are upward to the wall-plate and tie-beam respectively. The framing of the E. wall stands on a solid wall about 2 ft. high; the windows are modern restorations, but towards the S. end the middle rail has a chamfered lower edge, 4 ft. long, probably indicating the position of an original door. There is no N. wall as the range is built against the side of range B; in both the W. and S. walls nearly all the studs have been removed or covered up but their positions are indicated by pegs or mortices. The cross-beam and tie-beam of the central truss are unbraced and the studs of the partition wall in this position on the first floor are not pegged to the tie, suggesting a later insertion; the roof truss has slightly curved kerb-principals supporting side-purlins. The irregularly-shaped space between ranges A and C may be contemporary with the latter as the W. wall of this has mortices for floor joists and infilling placed centrally below the wall-plate; there is also a large brick chimney between the ranges, probably of the 17th century though a bolection-moulded fireplace on the ground floor is modern.
Monument 193; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 136
(SE 60485211-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. GOODRAMGATE 5343 (east side)
19.8.71 Nos 41 and 43 14.6.54 No 45 formerly listed as Nos 32, 33, 34 and 35)
SE 6052 SW 27/786
Late C15 or early C16. Later alterations and well restored. Exposed timber frame; 4 storeys and 3 storeys within the overall height; 4 altered windows, sash and casements; of the 5 bays the 3 bays to south have exposed timber framing and overhanging upper storeys; the 2nd storey is open to the roof; 3 modern dormers; pantiles. Modern inserted shop fronts. Incorporates 2 timber-framed ranges at rear. Interior has much exposed timber framing throughout. (RCHM Vol. V, Monument 193.)
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p114 City of York, June 1983
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060628 41-45 GOODRAMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2020 3:48PM