Building record MYO1467 - 25 Goodramgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6050 5215 (14m by 11m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: No.19 GOODRAMGATE. House, now shop, incorporating gateway to the Bedern. C16, partly rebuilt in late C17, with later alterations and C20 shopfront. Orange-brown brick in English garden-wall bond, painted at front, rear wing timber-framed and rendered on first floor: pantile roof with brick stacks and three box dormers with 2-light casements.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 3-window front. Ground floor incorporates gateway to the Bedern consisting of elliptical arch with chamfered timber lintel on chamfered stone jambs. First floor windows are 4-pane sashes with painted sills. Rear of front range has shaped lintel over arch and blocked window above. Rear wing: 2 storeys and attic; 3-window gable wall, first floor jettied on adjacent sides. Ground floor masked by later additions. First floor has inserted 2-light casement window and two 4-pane sashes; attic has one 3-light casement.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records some timber-framing visible. On the first floor a late C17 bolection moulded fireplace with some contemporary panelling.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 136). Listing NGR: SE6050652155
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 25, of two storeys and attics, has an L-shaped plan consisting of a late 17th and 18th-century brick-built range along the street front and a timber-framed wing at the rear; the latter was built in the late 16th or early 17th century but the ground floor was rebuilt in brick in the 18th century. It was usually referred to as 'the tenement at the Beddern Gates' which was the entry to the Bedern, for it stands partly over a 16th-century archway with stone jambs and a chamfered timber lintel cut to the shape of a very flattened Tudor arch.
A forty-year lease was granted without a fine to James Kiplin in 1690 on condition that he rebuilt the house within two years (YML, Subchanters Book 1628–97, f. 282); part of it probably dates from this time. The front wall has a modern shop front and three windows on the first floor with modern sashes; the brickwork is painted and shows evidence of a later heightening. The framed rear wing is covered with stucco, and the first floor is jettied on the S.E. and S.W. sides; only a little framing can be seen inside, at the S. corner, comprising a curved brace between corner-post and bressummer. On the first floor is a late 17th-century bolection-moulded fireplace and a little contemporary panelling.
Monument 189; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 136
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 11 2020 3:55PM