Building record MYO1455 - 56 and 58 Goodramgate

Summary

A pair of houses built between 1784 and 1794. The houses were altered in the first of the 19th century and converted to shops in the second half of the 19th century.

Location

Grid reference SE 6045 5206 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Pair of houses and attached tenements; now shops, offices and workshop. Late C18, raised, remodelled and extended in early C19; later C19 alterations and C20 shopfronts.

MATERIALS: front of painted brick in Flemish bond: rear and left return of orange-brown brick in random bond, rear raised in English garden-wall bond; cornice and shopfronts of timber; brick stacks to pantile roof, hipped at left side, gabled at rear with stone coping and shaped kneelers.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Shopfronts flank passage with plain door leading to rear tenements. First floor windows are 3-light canted bays with 1-pane sashes and dentilled cornices. On second floor, No.56 has one 4-pane sash, No.58 altered paired 1-pane sashes. Moulded console cornice extends full width of front. Rear: 4-storey 3-bay front: left part extended beneath heavy timber lintel supporting gabled loft. Loft has paired shuttered openings in gable end and trapdoor beneath. Right part has 4-pane sash with segmental brick arch on each floor. Left return: 3 storeys, 4 bays; various windows in altered openings.

INTERIOR: not inspected but lifting machinery is noted to survive in loft.

(RCHM: City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 143). Listing NGR: SE6045752065

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Houses, No. 56, 58, of three storeys in brick, were built by John Lund, the former between 1784 and 1794, for his own occupation (YCA, E95, ff. 13v–14, 152). A passageway to the rear, running between them and called Kidd's Yard, has a number of doorways opening off it, suggesting that there were originally separate tenements or shops within the property. The building was altered at the rear for some industrial purpose during the first half of the 19th century and a large loft formed, in which simple lifting machinery remains, beneath a wide gable. In 1830 part of the building was occupied by a whitesmith (Directory).

Monument 221; RCHM: City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 143

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060635 56-58 GOODRAMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 14 2020 11:11AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.