Building record MYO1417 - 1a, 1b High Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6013 5221 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: No.1 HIGH PETERGATE. Pair of houses with shops; now one shop and maisonette. Early C19; altered and refronted 1834; renovated c1970. Orange-grey brick in Flemish bond at front, rear of English garden-wall bond; timber shopfront and timber guttering on paired block modillions; pantile roof with stone coping and brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-bay front. Shopfront framed in grooved 'Soanian' pilasters beneath plain entablature: paired shop doors are margin-glazed and panelled beneath bordered overlights between small-pane windows over moulded panelled risers. First and second floor windows are 16-pane sashes with narrow painted sills and painted and channelled wedge lintels. Rear: 1A has paired margin-glazed doors beneath elliptical arch on ground floor. First floor windows are 16-pane sashes; on second floor, one squat 9-pane sash, one 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash. Small tablet inscribed 'IOHN TILNEY' beneath eaves at left end. Right return: concave-fronted porch contains plain pilaster and cornice doorcase with 6-panel door and overlight. 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash window on first and second floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 182).
Listing NGR: SE6013052219
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(325) House and shop, No. 1 (Plate 5), of three storeys and cellars, is now in single occupation but was formerly a pair. It was built in ther early 19th century, probably incorporating some earlier work, and was altered and refronted in 1834, when foot passages were made to each side of Bootham Bar (York II, 117). It was the house of John Tilney, marble and stonemason, whose yard behind, first entered from the rear lane, after 1842 had direct access to St. Leonard's Place, through a gateway designed by G.T. Andrews (YCA, B2). The house has a front elevationtwo bays wide with shop fronts of 1834; at the rear are large glazed doors giving access to the yaerd and thence to what was probably a workshop. Below the eaves is a stone inscribed IOHN TILNEY. Inside, the first-floor front room in the N.W. Part appears to have been a kitchen and has a stone-flagged floor. The ground floor was no doubt always devoted to commercial use.
SYO65: 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 182. London: RCHME
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061000 1 HIGH PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 10 2020 4:57PM