Building record MYO1405 - 5 and 5a High Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6014 5220 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (Built c1700, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1680 AD to 1720 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- SHOP (Altered early C19, Early C19 - 1801 AD to 1832 AD)
- OFFICE (Now, Undated)
- RAINWATER HEAD (1763, Mid C18 - 1763 AD to 1763 AD)
- SHOP (1970 alterations, C20 - 1970 AD to 1970 AD)
- OFFICE (1970 alteration, C20 - 1970 AD to 1970 AD)
Formerly known as: No.6 HIGH PETERGATE. House, now shop and offices. c1700 with early C19 alteration and extension: C20 shopfront. Front of painted brick in Flemish bond with timber doorcase and eaves cornice; rear of orange-brown brick in stretcher bond; pantile roof, hipped at front, gabled at rear; slate roofs to extensions; brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-bay front. Doorcase of plain pilasters with moulded imposts and fluted impost band has door of 6 fielded panels and semicircular fanlight beneath moulded cornice on carved scrolled brackets. To right is shopfront with half-glazed door and 3-light bow window: at far left, partly blocked 1-pane sash window. To right of first floor is tripartite bow window with curved 4-pane sash in centre; to left, a tall 1-pane sash window with painted sill. On second floor, four 1-pane sash windows with painted sills. Stepped brick bands to first and second floors. Eagle firemark to left of bow widow on first floor.
Moulded dentilled eaves cornice, broken at centre by moulded rainwater head inscribed 1763 initialled MT; original rainwater goods with rosette clamps. Rear: 3-storey twin-gabled front, with projecting staircase block in centre, flanked by later lower extensions. Irregular fenestration includes one 12-pane sash to staircase block, and 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash on first floor of extension to right.
INTERIOR: cantilevered geometric staircase rises from ground to first floor; stairs have shaped treadends, stick balusters and serpentine handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step. Deep elliptical arch with fluted soffit on paired fluted pilasters with imposts at rear of stairhall; behind is similar, single arch beyond small plaster vaulted hall. Hall ceiling bordered in reeded mouldings. First floor: moulded round arch at stairhead. Stairwell ceiling has wide moulded plaster cornice. Reeded doorcases lead to main rooms. At rear, winder staircase leads to second floor, having turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and flat moulded and ramped-up handrail: matching moulded dado rail. Front room fully lined in fielded panelling with moulded dado rail and cornice; fireplace and overmantel flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 183). Listing NGR: SE6014252208
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 5, originally a three-storey timber-framed structure of 16th or 17th-century date, with two gables towards the street, was rebuilt in brick about 1720–30, of three storeys with attics and a small cellar, with a hipped roof towards the street, a gable at the rear, and a lower hipped staircase block projecting from it. In the early 19th century extensions were added, flanking the staircase block.
The front elevation, of lime-washed brick, four bays wide, has moulded brick bands between the floors, a moulded dentilled cornice, and hung-sash windows with flush frames. Three first-floor windows were replaced in the early 19th century by a tripartite bow window. The early 19th-century doorway has a semicircular fanlight, flanking pilasters, and scroll brackets supporting a dentilled cornice. The rainwater head is marked MT 1763, possibly for Mrs. Thornhill (YCA, E101, Jan. 1764; Guildhall, Parcel 448, July 1785). The brick back elevation originally had flush-framed sash windows with segmental heads on every floor and lighting the staircase. The plan is unusual. On the ground floor, the staircase, contained in the spacious entrance hall is of the early 19th century, with plain square balusters. At the back of the house a smaller staircase, of the late 18th century, with turned balusters, leads to the second floor. The first-floor front room is fully panelled and has fluted Ionic pilasters flanking the fireplace and overmantel.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 181. London: RCHME. Monument 327
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061003 5 HIGH PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 14 2020 2:54PM