Building record MYO1400 - 25-29 High Petergate


Numbers 25-9 High Petergate a row of three houses built circa 1700-7. The building was altered in the late 18th-early 19th century, with further alterations and extensions in the late 19th and 20th centuries.


Grid reference Centred SE 6025 5211 (33m by 27m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Nos.24, 25 AND 26 HIGH PETERGATE. Row of three houses; now hotel, bookshop and dental surgery. 1700-1707 with later C18 and early C19 doorcases and cornice; other later C19 and C20 alterations and extensions.

MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of No.29 painted, on painted stone plinth; painted stone dressings and timber doorcases and cornice; rear of orange-brown brick; pantile roofs have box dormers with 2-light Yorkshire sashes and brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, cellars and attics; 11-bay front. Cellar openings behind grilles in plinth. Central entrance bay to No.25 breaks slightly forward: doorcase of fluted half-elliptical columns with necking and moulded bases has moulded cornice on elongated scrolled consoles: steps lead up to 6-panel door and fanlight in round-arched architrave with panelled reveal and moulded transom. No.27 has similar doorcase with door of 8 raised and fielded panels, renewed radial overlight and corresponding panelled reveal.

No.29 has doorcase enriched with composition mouldings, of sunk-panel pilasters with acanthus leaf at the head and open pediment on frieze blocks: door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath radial fanlight recessed in plain reveal in round-arched surround with fluted impost band. All ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes except for one 16-pane sash to left of entrance to No.27: No.25 has 1-pane sash windows on first and second floors; elsewhere first floor windows are tall unequal 15-pane sashes, second floor windows 12-pane sashes with original glazing bars. All windows have painted stone sills and most retain flat arches of gauged bricks. Broad raised bands to first and second floors. Dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice.

Rear: 3 storeys and attics; 4 gabled bays, No.25 having shaped gables, Nos 27 and 29 Dutch gables. No.25 extensively obscured by fire escape and 1- and 2-storey extensions: on first floor to left of extension is shallow elliptical bow window with three 12-pane sashes: on second floor round-arched staircase window between 12-pane sash to left, 4-pane sash to right, both with elliptical brick arches: attic windows are squat 4-pane sash to left, 2-light to right, both with rendered flat arches. No.27 not visible. No.29 has 4-pane sash windows on first and second floors, 2-light C20 window to attic, all with 1-course segmental brick arches.

INTERIOR: of No.25: full-height open string staircase with slender turned balusters and moulded, ramped handrail, wreathed at foot. Staircase window between 1st and second floors incorporates painted glass of 1801 by Thomas Hodgson. No.29 has panelled rooms on first and second floors. No.27 vacant at time of survey.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 185-6).Listing NGR: SE6025952112

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Young's Hotel, No. 25, and houses, Nos. 27, 29 (Plate 5; Fig. 116). of three storeys with cellars and attics were built c. 1700 for John Bowes and his son George. Nos. 27 and 29 were complete by 1701 and no. 25, of a different build, by 1707 (YML, Subchanters Book 1698-1752, 25, 51, 72). The houses have been considerably altered and refurbished, but No. 29 retains its original staircase and all ahve original Dutch gables on the rear elevation. No. 25 is of five bays with the centre bay breaking forward, No. 27 of two only and No. 29 of four. Although the plans of Nos. 27 and 29 interlock slightly, they appear always to have formed separate houses.

The front elevations, of brick, have a rendered plinth, a continuous plat-band at first and second-floor levels, and a late 18th-century modillioned and dentilled cornice. The doorways are late 18th or early 19th-century replacements, and all the houses have been refenestrated. On the rear elevation No. 25 has two curved gables with semi-circular terminations and Nos. 27 and 29 each have an ogee-gable with small triangular pediment (Plate 136). Some original arches with tghree-centred heads of header beicks and recessed tympana remain, but the windows beneath them have all been altered.

Inside, some party walls and partitions are of rough studwork, infilled with bricks set on edge: these are contemporary with the present houses and not a survival from an earlier timber-framed structure. Few originakl fittings survive. The main feature of No. 25 is the 19th-century staircase with three simple, column-shaped balusters to a tread. In the round-headed window lighting the staircase between first and second floors is some painted glass, depicting the arms of the City of York and the Hanovarian Royal Arms. signed by Thomas Hodgson, 1801. No. 27 was completely refitted in the early 19th century but in No. 29 the original staircase of c. 1700 remains. It rises to the second floor around a rectangular well and has bulbous balusters and moulded string and handrail. The square newels have pendants and attached half-balusters; the acorn finials and the faceted strips on the newels appear to be additions. The first flight to the attic has balusters like those below, but the second flight has recdtangular balusters and a heavy square handrail. Two rooms on the first floor have bolection-moulded panelling which has been modified or reset. The front part of the houses is roofed parallel to Petergate but the roofs of the rear range run at right-angles. The roof construction is of principal rafters with roughly shaped collars and staggered purlins.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 185. London: RCHME Monument 335

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 60265211-O.S 1/2500, 1962)

1. HIGH PETERGATE 5343 (south-west side)

Nos 25, 27 and 29 (formerly listed as Nos 24, 25 and 26)

SE 6052 SW 27/443 14.6.54


Circa 1700. Brick; 3 storeys plus attic; 11 sash windows (some minus glazing bars) with flat brick arches; bands at 1st and 2nd floors. No 25 has slightly projecting one window bay at centre containing doorway having reeded pilasters, panelled reveal with seimi-circular head, radial fanlight, and
cornice hood on consoles. Similar doorcases to Nos 27 and 29 but the latter has panelled pilasters with lion masks and leafy pendants. All 3 doorcases are late C18 or early C19 replacements;
late C18 dentilled modillion cornice. Interior generally altered but No 29 retains original staircase.
(RCHM Vol. V, Monument 335.)

1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest p 145 City of York, June 1983.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061016 YOUNG'S HOTEL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Mar 2 2021 8:46AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.