Building record MYO1395 - 17, 17A, 19 High Petergate

Summary

Formerly known as 19 High Petergate. A house built in the late 17th century, refronted and remodelled in the mid 19th century, now in use as shops and flats.

Location

Grid reference SE 6017 5217 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.19 HIGH PETERGATE. Shops and flats. Late C17, refronted and remodelled in mid C19. Front of orange brick in English garden-wall bond with timber doorcase and eaves guttering; rear of pink-grey brick in English garden-wall bond; plain tile roof, hipped at front, gabled at rear, with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front. Steps up to deeply recessed door of 6 raised and fielded panel with bordered overlight in doorcase with angle blocks: to right, sash window with painted stone sill. First and second floor windows are 16-pane sashes with slender glazing bars. All windows have channelled wedge lintels. Broad frieze band beneath guttering on paired brackets.

INTERIOR: ground floor: re-arranged staircase to attic has moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and pendants, and heavy moulded handrail. Shop in front room has moulded cornice and spine beam: massive brick fireplace with timber lintel. First floor: front room retains moulded cornice and spine beam. Second floor: front room has painted stone fireplace in plain surround. Back room has small cast-iron grate in painted stone fireplace.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 184). Listing NGR: SE6017952173

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(332) House, Nos. 17, 19, is of three storeys with a five-bay facade, was built in the early 18th century. The front was altered c. 1800 and again more recently. The interior has also been much altered: part has been turned into a shop and part absorbed into the adjacent Dean Court Hotel. Few fittings remain of earlier date than the late 19th century.

The front elevation has a string course at second-floor level, above which the walling is recessed on each side of the central bay. A wide plastered band and a small eaves cornice replace an earlier deep cornice, under which was set a rainwater head, still surviving, bearing the initials and date MC 1763, probably for Matthew Coxen, documented in Petergate between 1746 and 1784. In c. 1800 the ground floor was divided by pilasters.

1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 225. London: RCHME. Monument 332

NMR Information

BF061011 17-19 HIGH PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 14 2020 4:28PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.