Building record MYO1391 - 11 High Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6016 5219 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: No.9 HIGH PETERGATE. House, now Presbytery to Church of St Wilfred, Dumcombe Place (qv). Early C18 with early C19 alteration and extension; reroofed and altered further in late C19. Stucco front, lined to resemble ashlar; rear of red-brown brick in various bonds; extension in Flemish bond: timber doorcase and eaves cornice; slate mansard roof with shallow gabled dormer windows and brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attics; 7-bay front. Right of centre doorcase of engaged fluted Doric columns and entablature with fluted frieze: 6-panel door and divided overlight, approached by moulded stone steps, recessed in panelled reveal. At far right, passage door of nailed-on moulded panels in chamfered surround with 4-centred head. Windows on ground and first floors are 12-pane sashes; on second floor, squat 6-pane sashes: all with painted stone sills. Moulded bands to first and second floors. Prominent moulded eaves cornice.
Rear: 3 storeys and attic; 5 bays: 3-storey staircase bay projects in centre: to right, 2-storey bowed extension. 6-panel door at base of staircase bay; to left, C20 3-light window. First floor has 12-pane sash window to staircase, two similar to left, all with 1-course segmental brick arches. Extension has three 12-pane sash windows on both floors, those on first floor with wrought-iron balconies. On second floor, windows are 12-pane sash to staircase, 4-pane sashes to left, 16-pane sashes to right. Raised bands of stepped brick to all floors, interrupted at right side by bowed extension.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record stone flagged floor to entrance hall. C18 staircase flanked by Doric columns at the foot. Ground floor left front room panelled in two heights; moulded dado rail and cornice; fireplace surround enriched with egg-and-dart mouldings.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 184). Listing NGR: SE6016252193
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 11, large, has a seven-bay front of three storeys, with attics in a mansard roof. An earlier house on this site belonged to Sir Edward Stanhope of Grimston in the 17th century, and afterwards to Henry Swinburne, an eminent ecclesiastical lawyer. It was purchased by Sir Thomas Herbert in 1665 and remained in the family until sold to William Turner of Stainsby in 1723. The present house was probably built shortly afterwards, incorporating at the N.W. end an earlier passageway, entered by a doorway with a four-centred head of 16th or 17th-century date. Alterations in the first half of the 19th century included the addition of a semicircular projection, two storeys high, to the back. The mansard roof is of the late 19th century.
The front elevation is stuccoed and the storeys are marked by string-courses. The central entrance is flanked by engaged Doric columns carrying an entablature. The simple hung-sash windows are of equal height in the two lower storeys but of less height in the third storey. The back elevation has been considerably altered. A slight projection in the centre contains the main staircase, the windows to which are set under three-centred arches enclosing brick tympana. The semicircular projection of the 19th century has three windows to each storey with wrought-iron balconies to those on the upper floor.
The interior was extensively altered and refitted in the first half of the 19th century. The entrance hall and staircase were rearranged: Doric columns were introduced under a beam at the foot of the 18th-century staircase, which was altered and reset. The front room to the S.E. retains original 18th-century panelling in two heights with dado rail and cornice, and a fireplace surround enriched with egg-and-dart and scrolls. Other simpler fireplace surrounds survive, one on each of the first and second floors. In the attics, the head of the staircase incorporates reused bulbous balusters of c. 1700.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981. Monument 330
(SE 60165218-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. HIGH PETERGATE 5343 (south-west side)
No 11 (Petergate House, formerly listed as No 9)
SE 6052 SW 27/440 14.6.54
Early C18 with later alterations. Stucco; 3 storeys plus attic; 7 sash windows; moulded string-courses between storeys; central doorcase of fluted engaged Doric columns with fluted frieze, Doric cornice, panelled reveals, rectangular fanlight and 6-panelled door; heavy moulded eaves cornice; late C19 slate mansard roof. (RCHM Vol. V, Monument 330.)
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061008 PETERGATE HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 14 2020 4:13PM