Building record MYO1332 - 5 and 6 King's Court


Numbers 5-6 King's Court is a house, now in use as offices. The rear ranges are of 16th century date and the front block was added in the mid 18th century. The building was rebuilt and restored in 1951.


Grid reference SE 6043 5192 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Nos 5 and 6 and No.5 PUMP COURT KING'S COURT. House, now offices. Rear ranges C16, front block mid C18, rebuilt and restored 1951. Front of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond, with timber eaves cornice; pantile roofs with brick stack. Rear ranges timber-framed, ground and first floors now encased in pink mottled brick in stretcher bond, second floor infilling rendered. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Central 6-panel door with radial fanlight in pilastered round-arched architrave recessed in panelled reveals of Doric doorcase of attached columns, triglyph frieze blocks, dentilled cornice and open pediment. All windows are 12-pane sashes with narrow stone sills and flat arches of brick. 3-course raised brick second floor band. Dentilled eaves frieze beneath moulded modillion cornice. Elaborate rainwater heads to left, dated 1951, initialled YC, and to right, dated 1755, initialled HR: square section rainwater goods on rosette clamps. Left return: 3 storeys 6 bays, with moulded bressumers to first and second floor jetties. Towards right end, glazed and panelled door to left of cantilevered bay window with small-pane glazing; towards left end panelled door to right of unequal 6-pane sash window. Other windows are 2x9-pane horizontal sliding sashes. Windows on first floor are paired 12-pane sashes with 8-pane sash at left end; on second floor, 1-, 2- and 3-light 6-pane casements. Minimal framing exposed on ground and first floors. INTERIOR: stone-walled cellar retains squat posts with massive jowled heads raised on lime-washed quatrefoil column drums on square bases, and chamfered axial and transverse beams. Substantial remains of framing survive on upper floors of rear range bays adjacent to front block. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 150).
Listing NGR: SE6043251923

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

No further description provided.

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 16 2019 12:30PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.