Building record MYO1308 - 2 Lendal, former Congregational chapel, now restaurant
|Grid reference||SE 6006 5198 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Congregational chapel; now restaurant, shops and amusement arcade. 1816; converted and altered 1929, and later. By JP Pritchett. Orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor at front rendered; timber modillion cornice; truncated pyramidal roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front, centre 3 bays projecting and pedimented. Central entrance beneath semicircular hood between segment-headed fixed light windows: outer bays have renewed double doors beneath segment-headed overlights: all except main door have segmental brick arches. Round-headed windows on upper floor have semicircular arches of rubbed brick and three tiers of mullioned 4-pane lights. Pediment has blind oculus in tympanum. Rear: basement and 2 storeys; 5 bays with hemi-domed apse to three centre bays. Apse has round-arched windows on ground floor with sunk rectangular panels above. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are 4-pane mullioned lights, those on first floor in two tiers. Windows on ground floor have painted stone sills, those on first floor painted stone sill band returned from side elevation. Left return: 2 storeys, with basement beneath rear bays; 5 bays. Ground and first floor windows correspond to those on rear elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. Chapel was closed for worship in 1929. (Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: York: 1985-: 4; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 54).
Listing NGR: SE6006451982
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 10:04AM