Building record MYO1284 - 10-12 Low Ousegate

Summary

Formerly known as: No.16 LOW OUSEGATE. Pair of houses with shops. 1810-20; mid C19 shopfront to No.10 and C20 shopfront to No.12. No.10 of orange brick, No.12 of brown brick, both Flemish bond, with window arches of orange gauged brick; moulded stone eaves cornice to slate roof.

Location

Grid reference SE 6027 5167 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.16 LOW OUSEGATE. Pair of houses with shops. 1810-20; mid C19 shopfront to No.10 and C20 shopfront to No.12. No.10 of orange brick, No.12 of brown brick, both Flemish bond, with window arches of orange gauged brick; moulded stone eaves cornice to slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 4-storey, 4-window front. Central door of 6 raised panels beneath radial fanlight, approached by stone steps, leads to rear yard: doorcase is moulded round arch on pilasters with imposts. Shopfront to left is framed in channelled pilasters beneath plain frieze and shallow moulded cornice, and with blind box above. Shop door is margin-glazed and panelled, between elliptical small-paned bow windows with thin glazing bars, over beaded panelled risers. On first floor, No.10 has two unequal 15-pane sashes, No.12 two 8-pane sashes; on second floor, both have unequal 9-pane sashes, and on third floor squat 6-pane sashes: all have sills and flat arches.

INTERIOR: not inspected. No.12 was first listed on 24/06/83.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 157).
Listing NGR: SE6026051692

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

No.10 has a mid C19th, timber, shop front, with a central entrance door and large, elliptical, small-paned windows, over beaded panelled rises, to either side.

Low Ousegate is a medieval street and, although redeveloped in the early C19th, the long narrow plots of No’s 10 and 12 still reference plot boundaries typical of the medieval period.

In common with many plots in this part of the City, the frontages were redeveloped in the early / mid C19th, with side access to rear workshops and gardens being retained. Part of the rear yard to No.10 has been infilled with a flat roof structure and glazed conservatory, linking to a pitched roof building at the rear.

Internally, the building is much altered, with, at ground floor, many internal walls having been removed in order to create an open trade area.

The upper floors have retained more of their original layout and are, therefore, of greater interest.

Planning application 17/02826/FUL


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jul 4 2020 5:07PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.