Building record MYO1213 - 58-60 Micklegate

Summary

Two houses from the late 18th century, refronted in 1835 with a three-storey, four window front in pink and white brick, timber eaves, with paired shopfronts and a slate roof.

Location

Grid reference SE 5993 5164 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Two houses. No.58 late C18, refronted c1835, when No.60 was rebuilt; shopfronts c1835. Pink and white mottled brick in Flemish bond with timber eaves band; rear of No.58 in pale brick with red brick dressings: Welsh slate roof with brick stack at right end.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Paired shopfronts have fluted and panelled pilasters with dentilled cornice on fluted corbel brackets over deep fascia. Shop doors are glazed and panelled, deeply recessed to left of plate glass windows over panelled risers. No.58 has 1-pane sashes on first and second floors; No.60 has 12-pane sashes. All have painted stone sills and flat arches of brick. Rear: tripartite sash windows with segmental arches. No.58 has brick dentil eaves cornice.

INTERIOR: No.58 has round arch on panelled pilasters with moulded imposts in entrance passage. Close string staircase to third floor, with slender turned balusters and ramped-up, moulded handrail wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step. No.60 has close string staircase with slender turned balusters and large turned newels to second half landing; above, balusters are square-section. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 78-79).
Listing NGR: SE5993551646

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005


House, Nos. 58, 60, includes a large house built in the late 18th century on the E. two-thirds of the site; this was refronted c. 1830–40 when an older house to W. was rebuilt, giving a uniform elevation to Micklegate. The dentilled brick cornice at the back suggests that the earlier part was designed by the firm of Carr.

The front elevation to Micklegate, of three storeys, is in large pinkish-white bricks; the roof is of Welsh slate. Two shop fronts are probably of c. 1830–40, each flanked by fluted pilasters, and each with a house doorway to the W. Each of the upper floors has four hung-sash windows and above is a moulded cornice on coupled gutter-brackets. At the back the earlier building (No. 58) is in pale brick with red brick dressings. The two lower floors have wide three-light sash windows with segmental arches.

In No. 58 the staircase has an open string to the first flight, the remainder having a closed string and very slim turned balusters with square knops and bases. In No. 60 the staircase has a closed string and, up to the second half-landing, slender turned balusters with large turned newels, and beyond, plain square balusters.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 78. Monument 69

Information derived from the NMR
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060813 58-60 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 7 2020 2:22PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.