Building record MYO1184 - 98 Micklegate
|Grid reference||SE 5983 5158 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
House. c1775; altered c1828, with further later C19 alterations. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber modillion cornice; slate hipped roof with scrolled corner brackets, and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front. Shopfront of plain pilasters with moulded imposts and cornice incorporating blindbox; glazed door and overlight to right of 3-light shop window. Original first floor sill band broken by inserted canted bay window with 4-pane centre sash. On second floor, two 2-light casement windows with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. INTERIOR: not inspected: close string staircase, with slender turned balusters and moulded, ramped-up handrail. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 88).
Listing NGR: SE5984051589
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 98, was built c. 1770–80. At the time it belonged to Denis Chaloner, a cooper, who sold it in 1785 to George Smithson, innholder of the adjacent Nag's Head (88) (YCA, E.95, f. 28v.). It formed part of the public house until after 1850, but was remodelled about 1828, when the assessment was raised (Rate Books) A modern wing has been added at the back.
The street front, of three storeys under a slated roof, has a modern shop front to ground floor, two upper storeys of painted, Flemish-bonded brickwork with a stone band at first floor, and a modillioned cornice. At first floor is an inserted bay window, of the second half of the 19th century. At the back a small wing projects at the W. side. Inside, the staircase is original and has a swept moulded handrail, closed string, and slender turned balusters with square knops.
Information derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96.
Informtion from the NMR
98 Micklegate House built c1775; altered c1828 when it became a public house, with further later 19th century alterations. Exterior: 3-storey 1-window front. Now a shop.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060833 98 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 11:11AM