Building record MYO1169 - Church of Holy Trinity and attached wall
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5987 5154 (45m by 29m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (10)
- CHURCH (Early C12, Medieval - 1100 AD to 1132 AD)
- CHURCH (c1180, Medieval - 1160 AD to 1200 AD)
- PRIORY (Early C13, Medieval - 1200 AD to 1232 AD)
- PRIORY (C14-15, Medieval - 1301 AD to 1500 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Became parochial, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1537 AD to 1540 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1850, Mid C19 - 1850 AD to 1850 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1886-1887, Late C19 - 1886 AD to 1887 AD)
- PARISH CHURCH (Restored 1902-1905, C20 - 1902 AD to 1905 AD)
- WALL (Early C12, Medieval - 1100 AD to 1132 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (1771, Late C18 - 1771 AD to 1771 AD)
Holy Trinity Priory church of the Alien Benedictine Abbey of Marmoutier; now Parish Church: wall attached to east corner comprises lower courses of south wall of choir and chancel of original church, and now forms footings of the wall on south side of the garden of Holy Trinity Rectory, No.81 Micklegate.
Early C12 crossing piers, north end of west front, and wall attached to south-east corner incorporating reconstructed mid C14 window; 5-bay nave with fragment of triforium c1180, and early C13 arcades; tower of 1453, the lower stage formed from remains of north aisle. Church remodelled post 1536, when nave was re-roofed with C15 timbers and embattled parapet added. 1850 south aisle rebuilt during restoration; 1886-7 chancel and vestry rebuilt.
1902-5 west front reconstructed retaining parts of early C13 west door; west bay of nave re-roofed and north porch added, incorporating parts of early C13 north doorway. 1850 restoration by JB and W Atkinson; 1886-7 work by Fisher and Hepper; 1902-5 restoration and reconstruction by C Hodgson Fowler. MATERIALS: dressed sandy limestone and magnesian limestone with some gritstone; chancel of rockfaced sandstone; west end of limestone ashlar; south aisle of dark red brick in English bond. Roofs of tile and slate. Rectory garden wall of red brick above lower courses of sandy limestone. PLAN: two-and-a-half bay chancel, 5-bay nave and south aisle, north porch and north-west tower, with Chapel of St Nicholas on ground stage.
EXTERIOR: buttressed east end on chamfered plinth. East window of 5-lights with panel tracery in 2-centred head, with moulded sill string and hoodmould. Coped gable with gable cross. Chancel north side has two 3-light windows with panel tracery in 2-centred heads, over moulded sill string. Surviving north- west pier of early C12 crossing, with half cylindrical north respond, divides chancel from nave.
Chancel south side obscured by adjacent buildings. Former nave north arcade blocked with three C19 3-light windows, two with reticulated tracery, one unfinished. Moulded eaves string beneath embattled parapet. 2-storey buttressed porch, built on footings of former north aisle, incorporates part of original north door. Doorway arch is 2-centred, of 3 orders, of which the inner is original and has twin filleted shafts with moulded capitals and bases separated by band of continuous nailhead moulding; outer orders have shafts with moulded capitals, one original on east side, and bases, one original on west side, separated by bands of coarse dogtooth moulding. Restored C15 panel-traceried door with inset wicket. Lancet window above has floral stopped hoodmould. In east return, square-headed window of 3 lights with cusped ogee heads. In west bay of south aisle is 2-centred window of 2 lights with cusped tracery; above is reconstructed portion of triforium arcade. Clerestory of three dormer windows with diamond lattice glazing.
Tower of 5 stages with embattled parapet and offset angle buttresses, north-east one on chamfered plinth. North-east and north-west buttresses are stop chamfered on two lowest stages. Ground stage incorporates part of original north aisle wall on chamfered plinth, and chamfered lancet window beneath 2-centred arch on jamb shafts with roll necking and nailhead moulded capitals. Hoodmould on floral stops and double chamfered sill string. On north, east and west faces, belfry has a chamfered round-headed louvred opening recessed beneath round arch on jamb shafts with roll necking and moulded capitals. Moulded string at belfry level.
West end buttressed with pilasters, north one original retaining vestigial twin gabled niches on west face, and one similar niche on north face with trefoiled head and nailhead moulded capitals. South buttress reproduces these features. North jamb of west door original. 2-centred doorway arch of 4 orders, the inner of paired filleted shafts, the outer plain, 2 detached with annulets, 1 attached, with moulded capitals and bases. Double doors with scrolled C-hinges and wrought-ironwork. On either side are arcades of 2 pointed arches on side shafts, corbelled in centre. Continuous dogtooth hoodmould over both arcades and door. Above, arcaded window of 3 pointed lights, stepped over door, on filleted shafts with moulded capitals; corbelled hoodmould. Moulded string to eaves beneath embattled parapet with gable cross. 1-2 courses of former south wall of choir and chancel visible in The Rectory garden beneath later brick courses; incorporates reconstructed window of 4 cusped pointed lights beneath curvilinear mouchette tracery, in chamfered surround with 2-centred head and hollow chamfered mullions.
INTERIOR: 2-centred chancel arch of 3 orders springing from foliate corbels attached to former crossing piers. Piers are square on plan with attached shafts now embedded in later construction. North and south arcades of 5 bays, the north blocked and forming nave north wall: of 2-centred arches of three chamfered orders on octagonal piers and responds with roll necking, hollow chamfered capitals and abaci, and waterhold bases, some renewed. On south-east face of first pier of north arcade is an escutcheon carved with the arms of Micklethwait. Above each pier of both arcades is an attached triple shaft with continuous annulet moulding, formerly the lower half of vaulting shafts.
At west end of nave on north side, one bay of original triforium survives, with triple arched arcade of blind lancets with chamfered heads on shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Segment-arched west door on slender jamb shafts with foliate capitals, beneath corbelled hoodmould. Triple lancet west window on shafts with moulded capitals separated by bands of continuous dogtooth moulding, beneath hoodmould. St Nicholas Chapel on tower ground stage has a lancet in north and west walls. Roofs. Chancel has C19 hammerbeam roof. Nave roof is of 7 bays, of collar trusses with kerb principals and slightly cambered tiebeams; two trusses to east have moulded ties, the seventh a demi-angel boss.
FITTINGS: Fonts: west end of nave, possibly C18 octagonal bowl on C19 shaft and C15 base, with scrolled cover dated 1717 around upper rim, and 1794 around the lower. At east end of south aisle, disused octagonal font bowl. In outer porch to east of door, reset stoup in C19 surround. At west end of south aisle, medieval altar slab with incised crosses. Coffin lids: in porch, C13 lid with foliated cross. Behind pulpit, stone lid reused in C17 with brass inscribed to Alderman Micklethwait, d.1632. Amongst numerous fragments of carved stone, the following are reset: St Nicholas Chapel, C11 dragon, waterleaf capital, the upper part of a double coped graveslab and fragments with black letter inscriptions. Inner porch, west wall, mid C12 acanthus capital. Other carved and moulded fragments found on the site over a period of time are loose in the church. Reredos by G Hodgson Fowler. Hatchment dated 1832 on wall of south aisle.
STAINED GLASS: east and west windows by Kempe; also west window in nave, and window in St Nicholas Chapel.
MONUMENTS: include marble wall monument on south-west crossing pier, to Dr John Burton, d.1771, physician and author, and wife Mary: parchment scroll draped over a Gothick-traceried tablet, weighted down by the two volumes of his Monasticon Eboracensis, and an urn. Dr Burton was the model for Dr Slop in Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy.
(Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 220-221; City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 10-16).
Listing NGR: SE5987651540
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Bells: 2 bells. One dates to 1731 by Samuel II Smith with a diameter of 20.5?. The other by John Potter c1370. The older bell is listed as a bell of historic significance. CARE No. 43/1020
Parish (former Priory) Church of Holy Trinity, stands on the S. Side of a large churchyard, the mediaeval layfolks' cemetery, fronting on Micklegate. The mediaeval walls are of brownish limestone, white magnesian limestone, and a little gritstone; the post-mediaeval walls are of dressed ashlar, with some brick; the roofs are of modern tiles and Welsh slates.
In c. 1090–1100 Ralph Paynel gave to the Benedictine Abbey of Marmoutier, near Tours, the church of Holy Trinity in York together with other properties which had belonged to a wealthy pre-Conquest minster of canons (EYC, vi, 66–9). The Domesday entries show that this minster had been known as Christ Church (VCH, Yorkshire, ii, 192, 274). Of this minster there are no remains in situ, but the 11th-century architectural fragment (see Fittings, Architectural Fragments interpreted as part of a tympanum indicates a building of distinction. A church with short choir, partly recovered by excavation, aisleless transepts and nave, was built soon after the founding of the priory; only the two western piers of the Crossing and the N.W. Angle of the Nave remain. A fire on 4 June 1137 destroyed the Minster, St. Mary's Abbey, 39 parish churches and 'Holy Trinity in the Suburbs' (YAJ, xli (1965), 367). The rebuilt church had an aisled eastern arm of five bays, a crossing of c. 1180, a N. Transept with aisles on both sides and an aisled nave of five bays. By c. 1210 the W. End was remodelled, at least in the lower part, in the Gothic style, but completion of the upper parts and of the nave aisles was delayed, and gifts of oaks between 1235 and 1255 indicate the period of construction of the roofs (CCR, 1234–7, 315, 432; 1237–42, 264; 1251–3, 270; 1254–6, 140). The 'new chancel' mentioned in wills of 1459 and 1466 (Raine, 227–8) may have had relevance to the serious decay noted in 1446 when the priory was exempted from taxation on the grounds of poverty (CPR, 1446–52, 69).
Pastoral duties presumably formed part of the pre-Conquest church of Christ Church and these would normally have passed to the priory, the laity enjoying certain rights in the nave of the new church. A survey of c. 1225 speaks of the 'parochia sancte Trinitatis' (PRO, E.135/25/1), the designation used in the taxations of 1327 and 1381. In 1304 Gilbert de Gaudibus, priest, was inducted to the vicarage of the altar of St. Nicholas in the church of Holy Trinity, and in 1402 William Byrsgrefe and his wife, Alice, asked to be buried in St. Nicholas, before the altar of St. Thomas. A chantry founded by Thomas Nelson at the same altar in 1474 is stated to be in Holy Trinity Priory (Drake, 264). Documents of 1452 and 1455 describe the parish church of St. Nicholas as adjoining ('iuxta') or annexed to the priory. In 1453 the parishioners of St. Nicholas had permission to set up their steeple upon the gable on the N. Side of the priory church (SS, lvii (1871–2), 273).
In 1537 when Miles Walshforth was presented to the Nelson chantry it is described as being 'in the late conventual church of Holy Trinity' (J. Solloway, The Alien Benedictines of York (1910), 315), but in the Chantry Survey of 1548 he is shown holding the preferment in the church of St. Nicholas.
In 1543 Leonard Beckwith was confirmed in his possession of the priory. On 15 February 1551/2 a gale brought down the central tower and the fall probably reduced the choir to ruins and damaged the clerestory and triforium of the nave. In 1564–6 stones were taken from the 'defaced walls' for the repair of Ouse Bridge (YCR, vi, 73, 116) and in 1603 for repair of the city walls (YCA, c. Vol. Ii, ff. 69–72). By that date the nave aisles had become ruinous and blocking walls had been built in the arcades. In 1722 a vestry was built in the W. Bay of the nave. The roof was ceiled in 1732 and a gallery built in 1755–6. Further alterations were made in 1829 (Lawton, 18; Faculty 1829/2 Borthwick Inst.).
Major restorations began in 1850 (Yorkshire Gazette, 10 Aug. 1850), when a new South Aisle was built and the church as a whole was repaired and refurnished by J. B. And W. Atkinson. A new Chancel and Vestry were built in 1886–7 by Charles Fisher and William Hepper, in 1894 a pinewood reredos designed by C. Hodgson Fowler and carved by G. W. Milburn was set up, and in 1898 an original lancet window in the W. Wall of the N. Aisle was reopened. In 1902–5, the nave ceiling was removed, the W. Gallery taken down, and the W. Bay of the nave rebuilt, the S. Aisle being extended to correspond. On the N. A Porch was erected, partly on the old foundations of the N. Aisle. The architect for these works was C. Hodgson Fowler. (T. Stapleton, 'Holy Trinity Priory, York', Archaeological Institute at York, 1846, Procs. (1848), 1–231; J. Solloway, op. Cit.).
The main gatehouse of the priory was erected during the 13th century at the entrance from Micklegate to Priory Street. The last survivor of the monastic buildings, it was demolished in 1854, but scale drawings were made.
Architectural Description—The Eastern Arm of the conventual church (91 ft. By 57½ ft.) was aisled, of five bays with a square E. End, and was paved with small red tiles. The S. Arcade was excavated by W. H. Brook in 1899, and pier bases consisting of diagonally placed squares with chamfered angles were disclosed about 4½ ft. Below present ground level. The piers were probably square with a large half-shaft on each face, for sections of a respond of this type were found, the shaft having a simple roll necking. Between the second and third bases from the E. Was a mass of stone, perhaps the base of the sedilia.
The bottom courses of the S. Wall of the S. Aisle exist for much of the length and include good magnesian limestone ashlar in large blocks. There was an original doorway in the third bay. The wall is probably of the second half of the 12th century and has fine diagonal tooling. There is little evidence of buttresses.
The Transepts have disappeared, but excavations by W.H. Brook in 1905 proved that the N. Transept was of two bays with E. And W. Aisles. The S. Respond of the W. Arcade is semi-octagonal, with moulded cap and base like those of the nave piers; the white magnesian limestone contrasts with the older work in buff limestone. There is no evidence for the plan of the S. Transept, but it is unlikely to have had a W. Aisle since the opening from the S. Aisle of the nave has a straight face against the S.W. Pier of the crossing. The cloister lay on this side of the church.
The two W. Piers of the Crossing (24 ft. Square) remain intact up to the springing of the arches; the similar E. Piers were destroyed when the present chancel was built in 1887. The piers have twin half-shafts to the transept arches; the original bases had small spurs at the angles. The piers have plain surfaces to the W. Arch of the crossing and semi-octagonal responds to the nave arcades. The N.W. Pier is of good limestone ashlar with fine diagonal tooling where not rechiselled. The S.W. Pier is similar but almost entirely rechiselled; on the S. Side the late 12th-century respond is bonded and shares the same chamfered plinth. This last runs into the straight face of the opening from the S. Aisle into the transept. Some stones just above the level of the pavement may belong to the footings of the early aisleless church.
The Nave (82 ft. By 27 ft.) is of five bays, with heavy Transitional arcades, octagonal piers and two-centred arches of three chamfered orders. The piers have simple hollow-chamfered abaci, bell caps with roll necking, water-holding bases mostly renewed and chamfered plinths. On the N. Side of the third pier is a moulded corbel, contemporary with the cap. The N.W. Respond leans outwards, but is coursed through into the W. Wall; a jagged line to the S. May indicate insertion. Above each pier of both arcades, internally, is an attached triple vaulting shaft; horizontally above the apices of the arches runs a moulded string which returns round the vaulting shafts.
The only part of the nave standing to its original height is the westernmost bay on the N. Side. Here the triforium of the early 13th century shows within the church, having an arcade of three blind lancets with chamfered heads and round shafts with moulded caps and bases. This stage has externally seven similar niches, forming the wall arcading of a room built above the aisle. Above the triforium stage internally is a moulded string carried round the vaulting shafts. The clerestory, visible above the roof, has three arches with two-centred heads and chamfered reveals, the central arch opening to a window, the other two arches blind. There was a clerestory passage internally, and on the outer face a section of moulded water-table survives. The contemporary relieving arches in the two W. Bays of the N. Side of the nave probably formed part of the construction of the room over the N. Aisle.
The N. Wall has battlements of post-Dissolution date above a string, and at the E. End, an original external string at abacus level, returning on to the transept. In the blocking of each of the three E. Bays is a modern three-light window.
The W. Wall of the nave is mostly modern, but retains the N. Jamb of the W. Doorway and the corner pilaster buttresses of the N.W. Angle. The N. Buttress displays a trefoiled gabled niche, the moulded caps having nail-head ornament. The W. Buttress has, above a string, two gabled niches divided by a shaft; on the gables and finials is dog-tooth enrichment; the top of the buttress was heightened at a later period, perhaps when the tower was built in 1453.
The masonry of the Porch (14½ ft. By 13 ft.) is modern, with a window of c. 1829 from the vestry reset in the E. Wall. The N. Doorway (Plate 15), on the site of an original opening, incorporates some old features reset. The two-centred head has a label with carved stops and is of three orders of which the innermost is original. Two filleted shafts with moulded caps and bases flank a band of nail-head ornament. The outer orders have round shafts with moulded caps and bases supporting a deeply moulded arch with dog-tooth ornament at the angle between the two orders. An original cap survives on the E. Side, and a base on the W.
St. Nicholas Chapel (13½ ft. By 12½ ft.), is contained in the western bay of the N. Aisle, beneath the tower; the E. Wall is of 1453. The early 13th-century N. Wall, of large blocks of ashlar with claw tooling, has an original lancet with moulded label bearing flower stops externally. The window head has an inner chamfered order, which is continuous, and an outer order chamfered and supported on round shafts with moulded caps and bases similar to those of the N. Doorway. The aisle wall has an external chamfered plinth and a string course below the lancet. On the inside of the W. Wall a straight joint indicates the corner of the original pilaster buttress. The wall, which is of good ashlar up to the sloping line representing the former aisle roof, has a chamfered plinth and a double-chamfered string at sill level. The whole of this wall is set back some 3 ft. Behind the W. Front of the nave.
The Tower (14 ft. By 12½ ft.), built above the W. Bay of the N. Aisle (St. Nicholas Chapel), incorporates the W. Bay of the N. Wall of the nave as its S. Wall. The N. Wall is built upon the early 13th-century aisle wall. Similarly the buttress at the N.E. Angle is based upon the chamfered plinth of the early 13th-century buttress, but with a greater projection to N., with re-use of original facing stones (Plate 120); it is of five stages, with stop-chamfered angles in the first two stages. The W. Buttress is of six stages and is 15th-century throughout. The W. Wall, also constructed over the 13th-century aisle wall, has a buttress of three stages against the N. End. In the top stage of the tower, in each of the N., E. And W. Walls, above a moulded string, is a round-headed window of two orders; the inner order is continuous with a chamfered reveal; the outer order is chamfered and springs from columns with moulded caps, necking and moulded bases of the 12th century, reused. There is a plain battlemented parapet.
The South Aisle (10 ft. Wide) is of 1850 and modern as indicated on the plan; the 19th-century part is built of broad red brick on ashlar footings.
The Roof of the nave is of seven bays; the westernmost bay is modern, but the rest is of the 16th century incorporating 15th-century timbers. Each truss has a tie-beam, a high collar, no ridge, three purlins on either side and kerb principals up to the collar. The first and second tie-beams from the E. Are moulded, with recesses for three bosses; the seventh has a central boss with a demi-angel; they belonged to a low-pitched cambered roof of the 15th century.
Fittings—Altar Stone: mediaeval, from St. John's, Micklegate, given to Holy Trinity c. 1958. Architectural Fragments: in St. Nicholas Chapel, (1) carved fragment (Plate 26), perhaps part of tympanum, with dragon in Scandinavian tradition, 11th-century (YAJ, xx, 209). In porch, (2) section of carving, perhaps from collar of composite cross, with coarse pelleted interlace, 11th-century, pre-Conquest (YAJ, xx, 208); (3) three voussoirs from a doorway, each with circular medallion of conventional acanthus, and (4), set in pier, capital with hollow-chamfered abacus and acanthus decoration, all mid 12th-century (Plate 18). Loose in church, (5) capitals, moulded stones, etc. Found on Priory site, 12th to 14th-century. Bells: two; treble inscribed '1731 SS EBOR', for Samuel Smith II, founder, Chamberlain of York 1713, Sheriff 1723–4, buried in Holy Trinity 1731; tenor, undated, inscribed '+IHC+ campana: Beate: Marie: Iohannes: Potter: me fecit', 14th-century. Bell-frames, supporting tenor, part, probably 1453. Benefactors' Tables: on S. Wall of vestry, (1) large wooden table in moulded frame, dated 1793; (2) similar to above, 1699. Brass: on S. Aisle wall, oblong plate inscribed 'Alderman Micklethwait 1632' (Elias Micklethwait, Lord Mayor 1615, 1627), originally fixed to coffin lid (q.v. (1) below).
Chairs: in St. Nicholas Chapel, (1) oak, with turned front legs and shaped top with volutes to straight back having moulded uprights, c. 1700, (2) from St. John's, Micklegate, q.v. Chests: near pulpit, (1) of moulded panelling with some fluted enrichment, early 17th-century; in S. Aisle, (2) of fielded panels with two drawers, 18th-century, inscribed 'The Gift of Lawrence and Elsie Dunphy 1951'; in St. Nicholas Chapel, (3) small, with sides narrowing to base and with rounded lid, covered with leather and with enriched metal straps, 16th to 17th-century. Coffin Lids: against W. Side of N. Crossing pier, (1) part only, with moulded edges and shallow roll at centre and with indents for shield-of-arms and plate (reused for Alderman Micklethwait, see Brass above), 13th-century; in E. Side of porch, (2) with foliated cross, 13th-century, found in nave 1902–5; on E. Wall of St. Nicholas Chapel, (3) upper part of coped slab bearing on one side a sword and on other a hafted cross and beginning of inscription 'H(i)c iace [t]', late 13th-century; in S. Wall of S. Aisle, (4) part only, inscribed in black letter 'Hic iacet Walterus fflos'. Door: in main N. Doorway, of one leaf with central wicket, externally with mouldings in window form of six lights with rectilinear tracery, 15th-century, extensively renewed, rediscovered 1902–5 (Plate 15).
Fonts: At W. End of nave, (1) large octagonal bowl, perhaps 18th-century, set on modern shaft with cap, and 15th-century base, brought from St. Saviour's, 1953; loose at E. End of S. Aisle, (2) small octagonal font fitted with modern drain, found on site of Beech House on The Mount. Font cover (Plate 28), top inscribed 'Anno Domini 1717 Richard Booth William Atkinson Church Wardens', on base 'Anno Domini 1794 Francis Hunt and Marmaduke Buckle Church Wardens', brought from St. Saviour's.
Glass: in chancel, in window at E. End of N. Wall, in tracery IHS, in main lights grisaille, in side lights quatrefoils with medallions surrounded by foliage, by 'Barnett late of York' (Sheahan and Whellan, 1, 541), given by Crompton family, 1850, moved 1893. Hatchment: on S. Aisle wall, under central dormer, for Joshua Crompton of York (d. 1832). Image: in St. Nicholas Chapel, of stone, set in window ledge, the Holy Trinity, 15th-century, bought in 1952 in Delft, Holland, and said to have come from Holy Trinity, York. Inscriptions and Scratchings: in porch, on arch in E. Wall of St. Nicholas Chapel, masons' marks (Fig. 7, p. Lv). Lectern: of wood, with eagle, turned stem and moulded base on eight claw feet, mid 19th-century. Lord Mayors' Table, in vestry, wooden plaque with arms of York and seven ovals containing names and dates: 1772 Charles Turner; 1773 Henry Jubb; 1802 and 1819 William Hotham; 1810 and 1820 George Peacock; 1816 John Dales.
Monuments and Floor Slabs. Monuments: on N. Crossing pier, (1) Thomas Condon, 1759, and Maria, grand-daughter, daughter of Charles Mellish, wife of 14th Lord Semphill, 1806, with impaling arms of Condon.
On S. Crossing pier, (2) John Burton, M.D., and Mary, wife, 1771, white marble, at top two books, one inscribed 'Mon. Ebor. Vol. 1' (John Burton, 1697–1771, antiquary and physician, published Monasticon Eboracense, vol. I in 1758), and, pendant from a scroll, a seal formerly bearing the arms of Burton with shield of pretence of Henson.
In S. Aisle, on E. Wall, (3) Anastasia, eldest daughter of Thomas Strickland Standish, 1807, with lozenge-of-arms of Standish quartering Strickland; on S. Wall, from E. To W., (4) Ann, wife of Christopher Danby, 1615, cartouche; (5) William Fryer, solicitor, 1838, children Thomas and William, and Elizabeth, wife, 1842; (6) Margaret, daughter of John Peers, wife of John Stanhope, 1637; (7) Jane, widow of Thomas Yorke of Halton Place, 1840, white marble slab with pediment and arms of Yorke impaling Reay, signed Skelton; (8) Mrs. Elizabeth Richardson, 1854, oblong white marble tablet set on black marble background with cambered sides and shaped head, signed Essex; (9) Margaret Anne, only daughter of Thomas Yorke of Halton Place, 1847, plain white marble tablet, signed Skelton; (10) William Duffin, 1839, white marble tablet, signed Skelton; (11) Henry Jubb, 1792 (Sheriff 1754, Lord Mayor 1773), Elizabeth, wife, 1793, white marble oval tablet suspended from cornice bearing urn, on shaped grey marble slab, signed Wm. Stead, York; (12) Elizabeth, wife of John Steward, merchant, 1847, John Steward, 1855, tapered white marble slab with moulded cornice and base, signed Skelton; (13) William Crumack, 1847, Martha, wife, 1854, white marble monument, signed Skelton; (14) Mary Swinburne, widow of Sir John Swinburne Bart. Of Capheaton, Northumberland, 1761 (Plate 34); (15) Joshua Ingham, late of Stillingfleet House, East Riding, 1836, Elizabeth, widow, 1848, simple marble monument, signed Skelton; (16) Joshua Crompton, of Esholt Hall and Micklegate, third son of Samuel Crompton, of Derby, 1832, his wife Anna Maria, daughter and co-heiress of Anne Stansfield of Esholt Hall who married William Rookes, 1819, oblong white marble tablet with moulded cornice and draped urn, against black marble shaped slab, signed M. Taylor; (17) Elizabeth, daughter of George Ann, 1760 (Plate 34); (18) Thomas Swann, 1832, Harriet Ann, first wife, daughter of Thomas Clark of Ellinthorp, 1812, Anne Swann, second wife, widow of Joseph Bilton, 1831; (19) Elizabeth Scarisbrick, 1797, half-round white marble tablet with border panel of brown marble set on black marble beneath enriched cornice, pediment and urn, bearing lozenge-of-arms of Scarisbrick, signed Thos. Atkinson; (20) John Greene of Horsford, 1728, cartouche with arms of Greene. In Churchyard: E. Of main path, (21) Robert Wood, 1780, William, son, 1785; (22) Luke Graves, builder, 1792, Susannah, wife, 1826; (23) Henry Cassons, 1781, Ann, wife, 1803, Ann Ombler, granddaughter to Ann Casson, 1786; N. Of church to N.W., (24) Elianor, wife of George Waud, 1784, George Waud, 21 years Clerk of Parish, 1799;
To E. Of chancel, (25) William Abercrombie, M.D., 1791, Sarah, wife, 1798. Floor Slabs (all of limestone): (1) Frances Olive, widow of Stephen Walter Tempest of Broughton Hall, nr. Skipton in Craven, 1795; (2) Jane, widow of Thomas Yorke of Halton Place, West Riding, 1810, Margaret Anne, daughter, 1847; (3) John Allanson, twice Lord Mayor, 1783, Elizabeth, wife, 1766; (4) [Jonathan Benson, chamberlain, 1725], William, son, , [Mary, daughter, 1739], Ann, wife, 1746, and others; (5) William Green, 1764, wife, 1770; (6) Kezia Raper, 1797, John Horner, wine merchant, 1791, Jane Raper, widow of Leonard Raper, of Kirkby Malzeard, Yorks., aunt to John Horner, 1792, Mary, wife of John Green, fourth daughter of Jane Raper, 1802, Ann Horner, 1818; (7) Walter Richmond, merchant, Kingston, Jamaica, 1803, Jane Richmond, wife, 1808, Ann, daughter, 1798.
Piscina: now loose by W. Door, octagonal bowl supported on bell-shaped foliate capital, 13th-century, found during excavations for chancel, 1887. Plate: includes cup ( with baluster stem with London date-letter for 1611/12 and inscribed 'Christopher Maude, George Chapman, churchwardens of St. Trinitys in Micklegate 1666'; paten consisting of salver on three shaped feet with London date-letter for 1796/7 and inscribed 'Holy Trinity Micklegate York 1800, Roger Glover, John Gibson, Church Wardens'; paten made of secular salver with London date-letter for 1843/4 and inscribed 'Holy Trinity Micklegate York 1848', given to Church of Holy Redeemer, Boroughbridge Road; silver flagon of tankard shape with London date-letter for 1739/40. Royal Arms: on W. Wall of vestry, wood, mid 18th-century. Stoup: in porch E. Of entry, found during restorations of 1902–5. Tiles: a number, perhaps found in 1856 or 1871, now in Yorkshire Museum (Cook Collection). Miscellanea (see also Architectural Fragments above): In nave, set on first pier of N. Arcade, stone shield-of-arms of Micklethwait, originally part of tomb of Alderman Elias Micklethwait, 1632 (see Brass above). In S. Aisle, at E. End, part of Roman figure. In porch, two oak bosses said to have come from St. Crux or St. Martin's, Coney Street. Near path to church from Micklegate, stocks, of two large planks with five holes, post-mediaeval.
Information derived from RCHME - 'Ecclesiastical Buildings', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 3-48. Monument 5
Holy Trinity Priory church of the Alien Benedictine Abbey of Marmoutier; now Parish Church: wall attached to east corner comprises lower courses of south wall of choir and chancel of original church, and now forms footings of the wall on south side of the garden of Holy Trinity Rectory, No.81 Micklegate.Early 12th century crossing piers, north end of west front, and wall attached to south-east corner incorporating reconstructed mid 14th century window; 5-bay nave with fragment of triforium citrca 1180, and early 13th century arcades; tower of 1453, the lower stage formed from remains of north aisle.
Church remodelled post 1536, when nave was re-roofed with 15th century timbers and embattled parapet added. 1850 south aisle rebuilt during restoration; 1886-7 chancel and vestry rebuilt. 1902-5 west front reconstructed retaining parts of early 13th century west door; west bay of nave re-roofed and north porch added, incorporating parts of early 13th centrury north doorway. 1850 restoration by JB and W Atkinson; 1886-7 work by Fisher and Hepper; 1902-5 restoration and reconstruction by C Hodgson Fowler. Dressed sandy limestone and magnesian limestone with some gritstone; chancel of rockfaced sandstone; west end of limestone ashlar; south aisle of dark red brick in English bond. Roofs of tile and slate. Rectory garden wall of red brick above lower courses of sandy limestone. Two-and-a-half bay chancel, 5-bay nave and south aisle, north porch and north-west tower, with Chapel of St Nicholas on ground stage.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2020 1:16PM