Building record MYO1147 - 2-8 Minster Gates and 40 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6031 5210 (14m by 15m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
2-8 Minstergates. Includes: No.40 LOW PETERGATE. Three houses and shops. c1840 with later alterations. Orange-grey brick in Flemish bond with timber shopfront and guttering; hipped pantile roof with brick stacks and rooflight towards Petergate.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; 4-window front to Minster Gates; 2-window front to Petergate. Minster Gates: shopfront to No.2, No.4 renewed with plate glass window retaining curved glazed and panelled double doors with overlight on corner. Nos 6 and 8 retain original frames of pilasters with imposts and moulded cornice: both have recessed glazed and panelled doors with bordered overlights in plain reveals. No.6 has plate glass window over sunk-panel riser; No.8 has plate glass window in partly bricked up opening. First floor has 16-pane sash windows, second floor unequal 9-pane sashes, right end one on both floors blind. Third floor has two unequal 9-pane sashes, and two squat 6-pane sashes. All have painted stone sills and flat arches of brick, those on top floor masked by guttering on grooved brackets. Between Nos 4 and 6, box rainwater head bears crossed keys.
Petergate front: shopfront returns from Minster Gates with 4-panel door and overlight at right end. First floor has 3-light window with top hung lights in plain pilaster and cornice surround. Other windows are 12-pane sash to right of first floor and unequal 9-pane sashes on second and third floors, those on third floor squat.
INTERIOR: of No.8 only inspected. No.8 has close string staircase with stick balusters, turned newel and plain moulded handrail rising to second floor. Plain fireplace with coved moulded shelf survives in front cellar. First floor front room retains moulded cornice.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 161). Listing NGR: SE6031452101
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses and Shops, Nos. 2–8 (even), and No. 40 Low Petergate, were rebuilt some time after June 1839 on the site of several houses which had stood forward of the present building lines (YML, H10(2), f. 160). They were built as shops with living accommodation behind and above, and form a tall block of four storeys and basements, comprising four single-fronted units to Minster Gates and two bays to Petergate, all with uniform elevational treatment. The original pilastered shop fronts remain, although the glazing has been altered. The hung-sash windows of the upper floors have flat arches of common brick. No. 2 has blind windows to the upper floors of its elevation to Minster Gates and a large window with pilastered surround and moulded cornice to Petergate. A rainwater head between Nos. 4 and 6 bears the crossed keys emblem, indicating ownership by the Dean and Chapter. The cornice is supported by grooved brackets and is of the same pattern as that on Monument (338) to S.E. No. 8 retains the rear wall of the former house on the site, built in 1753–55 as a pair with No. 10.
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 161. Monument 273
BF060851 2-8 MINSTER GATES, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 1:01PM