Building record MYO1138 - 1-3 Monkgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6055 5225 (20m by 16m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Two shops and flats. 1846. Brick with pantiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 5 bays. The bays are divided by recessed vertical strips rising through the 1st and 2nd floors and forming alternate wide and narrow panels. The narrow panels (bays 2 and 4) have no 2nd floor window openings and have ground-floor doorways. The wider panels have ground-floor shopfronts, except at the right where there is a carriage entrance with a lintel. The windows are glazing bar sashes with brick flat arches. On the ground floor there is a continuous cornice above the shopfronts and doorways. The shopfronts are divided by pilasters which support round-topped brackets. The doorways have round-headed painted moulded surrounds. The doors each have 2 panels. Above the right-hand doorway there is a plain semicircular overlight. Bracketed timber gutter. Ridge chimneys at right and at each side of 2nd bay.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 87). Listing NGR: SE6054852258
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Houses, Nos. 1, 3, were built by 1846 by James Bowman, coal dealer and wheelwright (YCL, Council Minutes iii, 10 August 1846; Directories). They form a three-storey group of five bays comprising two houses and shops with a carriageway to the rear at the end. The front elevation has recessed vertical strips rising through the first and second floors.
Monument 256; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 87
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2020 1:06PM