Building record MYO1072 - 3 Museum Street, Thomas Hotel
|Grid reference||SE 6010 5205 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, later hotel now restaurant. Early C18 with later alterations. Buff-brown brick in Flemish bond on painted rendered plinth; timber doorcase, first floor band and boxed guttering; Roman pantile roof with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Wide doorcase of fluted Doric columns with triglyph frieze blocks and dentilled segmental pediment: double doors and overlight flanked by narrow 1-pane sashes of late C19 coloured glass set in screen of glazed brick: tympanum filled with moulded figures in foliage and cartouche announcing "THOMAS' HOTEL". Panelled passage door at left end has blocked overlight and bracketed cornice hood. All windows are 1-pane sashes diminishing in height on each floor above, with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Moulded first floor band; 2-course raised brick band to second floor.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with bulbous balusters, and several original panel doors. Remaining fittings mostly C19.
HISTORICAL NOTE: house formed part of Ettridge's Royal Hotel from c1800 and became known as Thomas' Hotel after 1858 when it was purchased by William Thomas.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 167; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 84).
Listing NGR: SE6010652057
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Thomas's Hotel, No. 3, a brick-built two-storey, five-bay house of c. 1700 with integral side passage, formed part of Etridge's Royal Hotel in the early 19th century. It was heightened by a storey c. 1820–30, and after its purchase by William Thomas in 1858 (YG, 13 Nov. 1858) the front elevation was further altered.
The front and rear elevations have floor bands; the front windows have flat arches and the rear windows segmental arches. In plan, over a small basement, the house had a staircase at the back of a central entrance hall and two rooms to each side. On the first floor, three rooms across the front and two plus a closet at the rear opened from a landing. The added second floor has three rooms to front and rear off an axial corridor. The remaining original fittings include the staircase with bulbous balusters and several first-floor three and six-panel doors, two with bolection-mouldings. The original fireplaces appear to have been back-to-back angle fireplaces against the gable walls, but when the building was heightened, there was some internal structural alteration and refitting. This included the provision of moulded cornices to all ground-floor rooms and one on the first floor, the addition and alteration of chimney-stacks, and the fitting of a chimney-piece identical to those on the second floor to another first-floor room.
Monument 284; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 167
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF060927 THOMAS'S HOTEL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 30 2020 11:44AM