Building record MYO1055 - 1 Tanner Row and 39 North Street
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6004 5178 (20m by 18m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (10)
- WEALDEN HOUSE (Late C15 construction, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1499 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Early C19 additions, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- HOUSE (C19 additions, C19 - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Restoration 1991, C20 - 1991 AD to 1991 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Late C15 construction, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1499 AD)
- WEALDEN HOUSE (Early C19 additions, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- WEALDEN HOUSE (C19 additions, C19 - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered early C17th, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered C18th, C18 - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered 1953-5, C20 - 1953 AD to 1955 AD)
Includes: No.1 TANNER ROW. House, now offices. Late C15; hall floored and hall jetty underbuilt in C17; refronted and altered in C18; part demolished and remainder re-roofed c1900; refurbished 1991. Timber-framed on rubble stone plinth, with infilling of brick, now plastered and colour-washed; pantile roof, hipped at corner, with brick stack. Originally Wealden hall plan; one wing subsequently demolished.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 1 bay of timber-framing to North Street, 2 bays of framing to Tanner Row; first floor jettied with dragon post at corner. Entrance in North Street is renewed 6-panel door in original doorway: to right, C20 small-pane bow window. First floor windows are renewed sashes, of 4 panes and 6 panes. Tanner Row front has renewed 6-panel door in C19 architrave, to left of 2 x 6-pane horizontal sliding sash window. First floor window also horizontal sliding sash, of two unequal lights, 4 and 6 panes. Dragon post is enriched with ogee quatrefoils, and jetty plates are lodged.
INTERIOR: not fully inspected. Wall framing and joists are exposed in both ground floor rooms, together with dragon beam in No.39 North Street. Both rooms have plastered chimney breasts without fire grates. The house is particularly notable as one of the most northerly survivals, though partial, of the Wealden hall plan. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 106).
Listing NGR: SE6004751790
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 1, with No. 39 North Street, of two storeys has walls of brick and plastered timber framing with tiled roof. It was built in the late 15th century as a Wealden house having an open hall with a two-storeyed block on the E. side, jettied to both N. and E.; there was another jettied block on the W. side of the hall, but not communicating with it. Probably this represented part of a similar two-block Wealden house (cf. Med. Arch. VI–VII (1962–3), 216). This W. block was rebuilt or refronted in brick in the 18th century (G. Benson and J. England Jefferson, Picturesque York (1886), pl. 7). It fell into disuse towards the end of the 19th century and by 1929 had been demolished.
In the early 17th century the hall and E. block were divided into two tenements: the hall was divided into two storeys, the new floor being jettied out to match the flanking jetties, and a central chimney-breast and two staircases inserted. In the early 19th century further internal alterations were made. The roof was completely renewed probably when the W. block was demolished, and the building, after lying derelict for some time, has recently been renovated. It is of great interest as one of the most northerly recorded examples of the Wealden House.The North Elevation to Tanner Row is plastered above chamfered rubble base-courses which carry a wooden sillplate. Centrally there is a 19th-century doorway, and to W. a horizontal sliding-sash window of the early to mid 18th century. At the E. end is the corner post with moulded and carved cap (Plate 48) above which it curves out to carry the end of the dragon-beam. The upper storey is plastered with a jetty, the E. half original, the W. of the early 17th century.
The East Elevation to North Street, mostly rendered in cement, retains the chamfered rubble base-courses as far as the first doorway. On these rests the sill-plate. Next to the corner post is an early 19th-century bow window, and to S. of this the original doorway to the house, altered in the early 19th century. To S. of this is a second doorway, entirely of early 19th-century date. The plastered upper storey is jettied with later windows. The South Elevation, now cloaked by the adjoining house, has been rebuilt in brick.
The West Elevation, timber-framed with plastered gable, was originally the partition between the hall and the W. range. The plain framing is exposed and shows at the N. end the twin corner-post construction required by the Wealden design (Plate 48). Pegholes and one surviving curved strut indicate that the roof was probably of the standard York crown-post type (cf. Fig. 13c). The existence of the W. range is shown by grooves and mortices in the W. face of the main timbers.
On the Ground Floor the E. room has the timber-framing exposed. In its N. wall is an original opening (now blocked) for either a window or an open shop-front. In the E. wall are the two jamb-posts of the original doorway; part of the chamfer is visible on the S. post. The rebuilt W. wall has an early 19th-century grate inserted into the 17th-century chimney-breast. To S., behind a later brick partition is a staircase, probably of the 17th century, with wooden octagonal newel post. The W. room, which formed the lower part of the hall, has no original features visible, but in the S.E. corner is a second staircase also with an octagonal newel post.
On the First Floor the E. room retains the original framing in the N. wall; the layout suggests two small oriel windows, similar to those in Church Cottages, North Street (Monument 104). The W. room represents the upper half of the open hall, but the timber-framed N. wall is of 17th-century date except for the corner posts at each end. These belong to the jettied blocks flanking the hall, and each carries a small solid spandrel-piece to support the eaves across the front of the hall. The E. and W. walls also retain the original timber-framing. Near the N. end of each is the corner post of the original front wall of the hall. These posts carry the original N. wall-plate and under the floorboards, the corresponding middle rail. There is an intruded chimney-breast in the middle of the E. wall.
RCHME III. 1972. pp. 107. Monument 120
NMR Information - there were two enteries for No 1 Tanner Row:
Full description(s) SE 60045179-O.S 1/2500, 1963)
1. TANNER ROW 5343 No 1 SE 6051 NW 28/655 19.8.71 II*
2. Includes No 39 North Street. Late C15. Brick and plastered timber frame; 2 storeys; 1st floor overhangs to both elevations; 2 early C19 casement windows, flush-framed on 1st storey. Ground storey has later 3 light casement windows and moulded wood doorcase with panelled reveals and 6-panelled door; renewed gable end and pantile roof. Return side (which includes No 39 North Street) is of similar character has rubble base in part, an early C19 bow window, one early C19 wood doorcase and an original wood doorcase to left with C19 alterations, and to left of this another early C19 doorcase.
Originally built as a Wealden house with an open hall and 2 storeyed block on the east side. One of the most northerly recorded examples of the Wealden House and therefore of particular interest. (RCHM Vol III, Monument 120).
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest p.347 City of York, June 1983.
AREA STATUS Listed Building Grade II*
A two storey house of 15th century date, altered in the early 17th century, the 18th century and in 1953-5. The building is timber framed with brick and has a tiled roof.
AREA STATUS Listed Building Grade II*
BF061212 1 TANNER ROW, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2020 3:50PM