Building record MYO1051 - 15 North Street
|Grid reference||SE 6009 5172 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Public house. Dated 1896, with some later remodelling. By WG Penty. Red brick in English garden-wall bond, the basement painted; painted stone dressings; stone coped gables to tiled roof.
EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, alternate bays with attic; 4 bays, articulated above basement by thin giant pilasters with moulded imposts. Left of centre attic has shaped gable, right end one shaped parapet, both with moulded coping. Entrance in basement of left of centre bay has double doors each of 4 raised and fielded panels beneath flat hood on fluted console brackets. To right, boarded cellar doors. At right end, tall elliptical carriage arch, closed by ramped-up boarded double gates. On ground floor, 3-light window over door, lighting inner stairway, flanked by 3-light mullion and transom windows. Similar window over carriage arch on first floor; others of 2 lights. All windows are small-pane casements, recessed beneath semicircular or segmental relieving arches. On ground floor, pilaster bases continue on each side to form moulded sill band; at first floor moulded impost band forms sill band to first floor windows. In attic, pilaster imposts linked by flat band, inscribed over left of centre bay with date 1896.
INTERIOR: not inspected. A public house on the site was known from c1840 to c1980 as The Yorkshire Hussar. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6008351723
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2020 9:39AM