EYO7523 - FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, FRIARGATE
|Location||FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, FRIARGATE|
|Grid reference||SE 6038 5159 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
The site has been in Quaker ownership since 1674 and overall has high heritage value. The present building has medium heritage significance, as a meeting house built in the early 1980s replacing an earlier building of 1817, located to the rear of a late nineteenth century extension facing Clifford Street. The building was further extended in 2013-2015 with a contemporary extension. The former women's meeting room dating from the 1884 extension, retains historic fabric and fittings, whilst the basement includes surviving historic fabric from a former Friary, both adding to the high significance of the building for aesthetic and historical value. The site as a whole has high archaeological potential. NMR sources: Architectural History Practice [historic building survey reports] Neil E/2016/Friends Meeting House Friargate, Historic Building Record.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MYO4213 Friends Meeting House Friargate (Building)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2020 9:19AM