EYO718 - 6 Driffield Terrace
|Location||6 Driffield Terrace|
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5928 5095 (10m by 13m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
June-Aug - 2005
Excavations at 6 Driffield Terrace, off The Mount, York during 2005-6 revealed part of the Roman cemetery known from previous discoveries in and around The Mount. At least twenty-three inhumation burials and one cremation were found; most if not all were adult males, of whom sixteen had been decapitated. The burials are thought to date to the later 2nd century and the 3rd century, perhaps continuing into the 4th century.
- --- SYO924 Website: YAT. 2005. 6 Driffield Terrace.
- --- SYO1903 Article in Journal: 2011. The 'Headless Romans': Multi-isotope investigations of an unusual burial ground from Roman Britain.
- --- SYO1904 Unpublished document: YAT. 2005. 3-6 Driffield Terrace.
- --- SYO1905 Report: 2012. 3 and 6 Driffield terrace Osteo-Analysis Report.
- --- SYO1906 Article in Journal: 2006. Selected Roman Small Finds from the Cemetery at nos. 3 and 6 Driffield Terrace.
- --- SYO1908 Report: YAT. 2012. 6 Driffield Terrace Vertebrae Analysis.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MYO4195 Roman cemetery (Monument)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2020 11:33AM