EYO6717 - FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, ACOMB
|Location||THE GREEN, ACOMB|
|Grid reference||SE 5715 5128 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
The Architectural History Practice
NMR Information: Acomb meeting house is a modest building, adapted in the beginning of the twentieth century from a former Primitive Methodist Chapel, probably built to the designs of Henry Mannering in c.1824 or 1846. It is located in an attractive position facing the Village Green and makes a positive contribution to Acomb Conservation Area; the building has medium heritage significance. Evidential value The property originated as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, and the twentieth century alterations illustrate the building's transformation for Quaker use. The site is within an Area of Archaeological Importance and has medium archaeological potential. Historical value The meeting house is of high historical value, as a building built for Non-conformist worship. It was built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in c1824 or 1846 and was purchased for Quaker use in 1911. Aesthetic value The meeting house has medium aesthetic architectural and townscape value for its frontage to the main street facing the Village Green. Communal value In addition to its historic use by the Methodists and Quakers, the meeting house is also now used by the wider community. The building has high communal value. Information from OASIS Online Form.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MYO4214 Friends Meeting House Acomb (Building)
Record last edited
Jun 3 2020 9:14AM