EYO656 - Guy Fawkes Hotel, 25 High Petergate




Location Guy Fawkes Hotel, 25 High Petergate
Grid reference Centred SE 6050 5189 (493m by 449m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire



Colin Briden


August - 2004



An illustrated inventory of opening up works and also of stored historic materials seen during the examination of the fabric. The Hotel was constructed as a private house between 1700 and 1707. It forms one of three properties, the other two are numbers 27 & 29 High Petergate, built as a terrace by John Bowes and his son George. During refurbishment work a number of oak joists found supporting a boarded floor over the earlier flagged floor in the Cottage were examined. Only two appeared to survive to their full length. They measured 125mm by 90mm in scantling and were 4.35m long. They terminated in unpegged tenons none of the tirnbers examined had a corresponding mortise from which it may be deduced that not all of the structure of which they formed a part was represented. They were pierced by augured holes which had been distorted in section by the use of square sectioned iron coach bolts, two of these survived in situ. The nature of the structure in which these timbers originated is obscure, it was probably industrial. There seems no reason to doubt that it was of C 19 date. 25 High Petergate inventory identified the remains of a removed floor and that the boundary wall was set on limestone blocks, probably reused from the medieval period. Evidence for alterations to the elevations associated with the insertion of sash windows in the 19th century. On the first floor C19 architerctural features and detailing recorded and reused timber from a timber framed building was recorded. Second flooidentified C18 fireplace obscured by C19 attic stair, early C18 lathes associated with partiton wall. Evidence for limewash on wallsand printed wall paper fragments. Early C19 hob grate in early C18 bolection moulded surround. The Cottage listed as C19 but incorporates C18 fabric indicated by 2" and 21/4" bricks in fine lime mortar. The principal elevation, which faces the rear elevation of the Hotel, appears to have been arranged symmetrically with a central doorway flanked by windows at ground floor leveL This arrangement was altered in the C19 when the original doorcase was removed to the right hand opening The other two openings have been drastically altered in more recent times.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: Colin Briden. 2004. Guy Gawkes Hotel.
  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Record last edited

Mar 2 2021 8:51AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.