SE65SW HUNTINGTON ROAD 1112-1/2/511 (West side) 24/06/83 Grange House (Formerly Listed as: HUNTINGTON ROAD Former Administration block of the former Grange Hospital (now St Mary's))
Workhouse offices; now student flats. 1848-49 with contemporary extension and later bay windows; renovated 1994. Architects JB and W Atkinson. MATERIALS: orange-cream brick in English garden wall and stretcher bonds on brick plinth; bay windows in orange brick with sandstone plinth and dressings. Shallow pitched hipped slate roofs with widely overhanging eaves, on shaped timber brackets in centre front. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 9-bay front, with 2-bay extension at left end. Outer angles are pilastered; original end bays break forward and have canted bay windows on ground floor. In centre of original front is round-arched doorcase of 2 orders with recessed glazed door and semicircular fanlight. Three windows on each side are recessed radial glazed sashes beneath arcaded round arches with stone impost band. Canted bays have three similar sash windows recessed in triple keyed orange brick arches and moulded cornices beneath plain parapets with moulded stone copings. First floor windows are cambered headed 12-pane sashes, centre one in pedimented moulded brick surround with stone sill and brick apron; others have segmental brick arches with stone impost band and sill band. All second floor windows are squat 12-pane sashes with flat brick arches and painted stone sill band broken by pilaster strips. Windows in extension conform with equivalents elsewhere. Rear: 3 storeys, 11 bays, with 1- and 2-storey projections at each end linked by 1-storey glasshouse. Glazed double doors in centre of glasshouse and 4-panel glazed and panelled door at right end: other ground floor openings are sash windows of various types. Projection to right has Venetian staircase sash window on first floor. Otherwise first and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes, those on second floor squat, except where altered or inserted. Windows on first floor have segmental brick arches, on second floor cambered arches. Returns: windows on each floor correspond with those on main front. INTERIOR: staircase known to have close strings, turned bobbin balusters and plain handrail on square newels with ball finials. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York:
RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 51).
Listing NGR: SE6085453041
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.