SE6052SW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/27/580 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.41 AND 43
Formerly known as: No.34 LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop and offices. Late C14, with early C18 alteration and extension; further alteration in C20. Timber-framed front range, fronted in whitewashed plaster, with timber cornice; rear extension of orange brick in stretcher bond with partly rendered upper floor; timber shopfront with brick riser; pantile roof and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front with jettied first and second floors. C20 shopfront has shallow small-pane bow window with door in right return: recessed at right end is panelled upstairs door. Windows on first floor are tripled 12-pane sashes; on second floor, paired 16-pane sashes. Moulded eaves cornice has elaborate moulded rainwater head with embossed rosettes at left end. Rear: 3 storeys, 2 bays, right bay projecting. Left bay has round-headed staircase window and squat 12-pane sash window above. Windows in right bay altered but retaining segmental brick arches. INTERIOR: substantial remains of timber-frame survive. Ground floor: in shop, 2-panel cellar door survives. First floor: re-arranged staircase to second floor has close string, turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. Front and back rooms on first and second floors retain C17 and C18 panelling and 3- and 5-panel doors. Graffiti dates window in first floor front room to 1769, in second floor front room to 1761. Attic stair is of the ladder type. Roof to front range has crown post trusses with longitudinal braces. (Cooper TP: The Old Inns and Inn Signs of York: York: 1898-: 19-21; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 193).
Listing NGR: SE6031152081
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.