See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
LBSUID 463864
Date assigned Monday, July 1, 1968
Date last amended


YORK SE6052NW LORD MAYOR'S WALK 1112-1/8/569 (North East side) 01/07/68 University College of Ripon & York St John: School Building (Formerly Listed as: LORD MAYOR'S WALK Original NW block & SE block only to The College of Ripon & York St John) GV II Yeoman School; now part of University Teacher Training College. 1846 with later C19 extension; C19 and C20 alteration. By GT Andrews for the York and Ripon Diocesan Boards of Education. MATERIALS: orange-grey brick in English bond with chamfered stone plinth band and stone dressings; timber guttering on timber modillions. Slate roofs with moulded stone copings and banks of stone corniced brick stacks, some set diagonally. Gabled dormers are weatherboarded with slate roofs, plain bargeboards and windows of paired shouldered narrow 8-pane casements: box dormers are inserted. STYLE: Gothic Revival. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front with attics: 12-window main range with 3-window wing projecting at left end and gabled crosswing at right end. Entrance in centre of inner return of projecting left wing through 4-centred arched doorway with recessed glazed and panelled door in glazed screen with tall 4-light overlight. Above is 2-light window, to right 3-light windows on both floors. Gabled bay to left and gable end to crosswing have 2-storey square bay windows with half hipped roofs, 3-light ground floor windows, 2-light first floor windows, and single segment-headed lights in the gable apex. In main range, ground floor windows are 3-light 12-pane sashes with segmental heads and four C20 2-light windows inserted between: on first floor, single 8-pane casements. Left wing has single gabled bay to left of 2-window front. Gable has square-headed ground floor window of 4 mullioned and transomed sashes beneath relieving arch: first floor window is of 3 tall segment-headed sashes: to right, windows on both floors are of 2 lights. All have horizontal glazing bars. Moulded first floor string steps down around ground floor left window, extends across full width of main range and wings and continues over right return. Rear of main range: glazed and panelled door with overlight in square-headed quoined and double chamfered surround, approached by flight of steps. Right return: 2 storeys and attics; 4 windows with external stack corbelled out from first floor at right end. Nail studded vertically ribbed door to left, in 4-centred moulded arch on slender jamb shafts with moulded capitals, bases and hood. On ground floor windows are 2- and 3-light segment-headed, one transomed: on first floor, three single light 8-pane casement windows and one of paired similar lights. Window surrounds are square-headed, quoined and double chamfered with chamfered mullions and sloped sills. Most first floor windows are 8-pane casements. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 53). Listing NGR: SE6048552477

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 60485 52477 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.