SE6052SW MINSTER YARD 1112-1/27/711 (East side) 14/06/54 Minster Song School (part)
Formerly known as: The Song School MINSTER YARD. School. 1830-33; late C19 and C20 alterations. By C Watson and JP Pritchett for the Dean and Chapter. Magnesian limestone ashlar with slate and stone slate roofs and ashlar octagonal stacks with coved cornices. STYLE: Gothick. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay centre range behind 1-storey 3-bay arcade, flanked by 2-storey gabled crosswings: 1-storey parallel crosswing at left end. Arcade contains three double chamfered 4-centred arches beneath coved head-stopped hoods with double doors of diamond latticed ogee-headed lights and linenfold panelling. Crosswings have embattled octagonal turrets, moulded and chamfered plinths and full height windows of five cinquefoiled lights in double hollow chamfered surrounds with traceried 4-centred heads. Moulded sillstring encircles turrets. Upper storey windows are of paired cinquefoiled lights in square-headed hollow chamfered openings with hollow chamfered mullions. All windows have coved hoods with return stops. All parts have embattled parapet with moulded coping, over coved eaves string. 1-storey gabled wing has window of 2 round-headed lights in square-headed double hollow chamfered opening and quatrefoil above. Rear: 2-storey 5-bay front, end bays gabled: articulated 1:3:1 by pilaster buttresses surmounted by octagonal turrets with moulded caps: right end bays obscured by 1-storey parallel range. End bay first floor windows are of 3 lights with intersecting tracery in 4-centred heads: other windows are paired, tripled or quadrupled lancets with pivoting diamond leaded lights in square-headed surrounds: all are double hollow chamfered. Moulded string course beneath coped parapet, crow-stepped in centre and supporting paired octagonal stacks. Gabled 1-storey range has triple lancet window in chamfered surround with 4-centred head. INTERIOR: ground floor doorways are 4-centred and hollow chamfered: some have shaped panelled doors. Braced roof trusses, filled with panel tracery, rise from carved enriched corbels: wallplate carved with blank shields. Building was built originally to house St Peter's School. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 104).
Listing NGR: SE6042852078
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.