SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/739 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.44 Monkgate House
House, now offices. Built shortly after 1723; altered 1827 and c1835. Alterations of 1827 for George Hudson. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone and stucco dressings. Pantiled roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 4 bays. Facade has stone plinth, painted stone 1st floor sill band with a brick band below, and a timber cornice gutter. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The attic dormer has a pitched roof and 6-pane sash. On the ground floor a doorway of early C19 date occupies the 2 right-hand bays. It has a painted stone or stucco surround with Tuscan pilasters and a cornice. The door has an architrave and flanking lights and has 6 panels and an overlight. Ridge chimney at left. INTERIOR: open well staircase with cast-iron balustrade of geometric panels and serpentine handrail. A plaque records that George Hudson MP 1800-1871 lived here. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 90).
Listing NGR: SE6072152361
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.