SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/735 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.38 Middleton House
Formerly known as: No.38 St Maurice's Rectory MONKGATE. House. c1700, altered c1780 and early C19. Brick in Flemish bond. Plain tiled roof. EXTERIOR: main building symmetrical, of 3 storeys (originally 2 storeys) and 5 bays. The central bay projects slightly and the facade has 2 brick storey bands and a modillioned gutter cornice. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The stucco doorcase has rusticated pilasters, a lintel with false voussoirs, and a modillion cornice. The overlight has lozenge-pattern glazing and the door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The gables are coped, with a chimney at the right-hand end of the ridge. To the left there is a 2-storey wing with a pantiled roof behind a parapet. On the ground floor it has an elliptical rubbed brick carriage arch with stone impost blocks and a keystone. Recessed within the opening there is a C20 brick wall with a glazing bar sash window. To the right of the archway there is a glazing bar sash window matching those to the main house, and on the 1st floor there is a similar window in an altered opening. INTERIOR: RCHM records a fine original staircase with twisted balusters to the lowest flight, and with bulbous turned balusters to upper floors, all with square newels and a moulded and ramped handrail. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1798, the house was bought by the Rev. Charles Wellbeloved. In 1803 he became Principal of Manchester College, a dissenting academy which moved to York from Manchester in that year and was accommodated in his house until 1811. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 89).
Listing NGR: SE6070352343
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.