Listed Building: YORK AND NORTH MIDLAND RAILWAY COMPANY WORKSHOPS AND WATER TANK AT NGR SE 5951 5144 (464501)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
LBSUID 464501
Date assigned Friday, March 14, 1997
Date last amended

Description

YORK SE5951SE QUEEN STREET 1112-1/20/896 York and North Midland Railway Co. Workshops and Water Tank at NGR SE 5951 5144 II Workshops and water tank, now disused. 1839, altered and refitted in late C19. By GT Andrews for the York and North Midland Railway Company; tank manufactured by the Walker Foundry of Walmgate, York. Workshops of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on ashlar plinth; moulded stone cornice; slate roof, hipped at one end, with timber louvre and brick stacks to part; cast-iron water tank. EXTERIOR: front, originally facing railway line: 1-storey 3-bay building supports water tank; to left, lower 1-storey 5-bay attached workshop. Tank building has segment-arched opening blocked with later brick linked by broad stone impost band to round-arched radial-glazed window with stone sills on each side. Sharply moulded cornice encircles building beneath low parapet. Water tank is of cross-braced panels with central circlets, some formerly enclosing date and manufacturer's plates: one plate inscribed Y&NM survives. At rear, segment-headed doorways with replacement doors, one with overlight, flank inserted windows with timber lintels and brick sills. Workshop front has one blocked doorway and four windows with stone sills, all with segmental arches: rear has original doorway with replacement door, one inserted doorway and three original windows. Moulded cast-iron guttering forms cornice around building. Right return: 4-panel door with overlight and window to left, both with segment-arched heads. Windows have small panes with iron glazing bars and central opening panels. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: during the building of The Old Station and former Station Hotel, Toft Green (qv) for the York and North Midland Railway Company between 1840-41, the Company used a temporary station outside the city walls. This building survives from that station and as such is one of the earliest surviving purpose-built railway structures in the country. A plate recording manufacturer and date was removed c1993. Listing NGR: SE5951051440

External Links (0)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SE 59543 51452 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Mar 15 2019 3:01PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.