See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II*
LBSUID 464550
Date assigned Monday, June 14, 1954
Date last amended


YORK SE6052SE ST ANDREWGATE 1112-1/14/933 (South East side) 14/06/54 St Andrew's Evangelical Church (Formerly Listed as: ST ANDREWGATE St Andrew's Hall) II* Formerly known as: Church of St Andrew ST ANDREWGATE. Parish church, now non-denominational church. C15 nave with early C19 extension on site of late C14 former chancel: C20 renovation. MATERIALS: reused Roman gritstone and magnesian limestone, with brick blocking; rebuilt and patched with various brick mostly in stretcher or random bond; pantile roof with inserted half-hipped dormers on both sides of chancel/ extension. PLAN: 4-bay nave and chancel; west bell turret. EXTERIOR: former chancel on chamfered plinth. East end has blocked doorway to south and two 12-pane windows with painted stone sill. On north side, original window opening with splayed reveals has inserted 16-pane sash. South side has C20 door and 2 windows. Nave has moulded plinth. On north side, two square-headed windows beneath decayed hoodmoulds, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with mouchette tracery in the head, one part original, one completely renewed: towards west end, blocked doorway in chamfered 2-centred arch, blocked with brick. Openings on south much altered; C20 windows and door beneath timber lintel. West end has C20 cross window in rebuilt gable, above blocked former window. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original tie beams to roof and remnants of timber-framed bell turret at west end. HISTORICAL NOTE: Church of St Andrew was first mentioned in 1194. It was redundant by 1586, when the parish was united with St Saviour's, and used for a variety of secular purposes until late C20. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 10). Listing NGR: SE6056752034

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 60566 52033 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.