SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/987 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.26 The Acomb Christian Fellowship
Town house, now church and hostel. Early C18 with early C19 and C20 alteration. For Thomas Fothergill. MATERIALS: front of white-washed brick in Flemish bond on chamfered plinth, with timber cornice; chamfered quoins, doorcases and dressings of painted stone: rear of red-brown brick. Tiled roof with brick stacks; three flat dormers with 2x4-pane windows at front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay front. Central door of 6 raised and fielded panels with fluted transom and plain fanlight, in round-arched architrave with spandrel paterae: left end passage door of 6 sunk panels beneath 8-pane overlight in bolection-moulded doorway. Continuous moulded cornice on ground floor breaks over each door to form cornice hood. On ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes, on first floor unequal 15-pane sashes, centre one in eared raised surround: all have painted stone sills and painted brick arches. First floor windows have cast-iron window guards. Dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice with embossed rainwater head with winged cherub head, dated 1740, initialled MF, to left of centre window. Rear: 3-storey, twin gabled front. Round-arched staircase window in centre. Other openings altered. INTERIOR: ground floor: stone-flagged entrance hall and passage; fluted cornices to entrance- and stairhalls; elliptical stairhall arch on pilasters with moulded imposts. Front room left has moulded ceiling cornice and round-headed basket grate in painted stone bolection-moulded fireplace with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice shelf. In rooms to right moulded cornices survive. Main staircase to second floor has open string, turned balusters and heavy moulded handrail ramped up to square newels: matching dado of raised and fielded panelling to stairwell. Staircase window flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters with triglyph frieze and moulded dentilled cornice. Secondary staircase to second floor has close string, slim bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and plain handrail. On first floor, moulded plaster ceiling to landing with central rosette in lozenge frame. Other upper floor rooms retain original fireplaces with altered grates, and some panelling, mostly bolection-moulded. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 210).
Listing NGR: SE6064751952