Listed Building: SCARCROFT COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL (464652)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II*
LBSUID 464652
Date assigned Monday, July 1, 1968
Date last amended

Description

YORK SE5951SE SCARCROFT ROAD 1112-1/20/904 (South side) 01/07/68 Scarcroft County Primary School (Formerly Listed as: SCARCROFT ROAD Main building at Scarcroft Road School) II* Board school, now County Primary School. 1896. By WH Brierley. MATERIALS: orange-brown brick in English bond on chamfered brick plinth, with orange brick dressings: slate roofs with stone copings and brick stacks generally, except for one of stone surmounting tall brick tower. Three other towers and centre ridge clock tower surmounted by octagonal louvred cupolas of wood, with lead ogee roofs and finials. Tall centre range has two half-hipped dormers with sprocketed roofs and tapering finials on both sides. Ornate cast-iron tie rod ends and integral cast-iron and lead rainwater goods. All windows except where indicated otherwise have chamfered brick quoined surrounds with hollow chamfered flat arches of gauged brick. EXTERIOR: north-east front to Nunthorpe Road: central gabled hall range of 2 high storeys and attic, 3 bays articulated by full height gabled pilasters; flanked by square towers, one surmounted by cupola, the other by louvred stack with tapering brick pot: gabled lower crosswings of 3 storeys and attics project forward on each side. Central bays have 3-light windows between 2-light small-pane windows on both floors, recessed in 2-storey multiple order pointed arches of hollow chamfered gauged brick: ground floor windows are transomed, upper floor windows double transomed with 2-centred heads. In gable apex is fire escape door beneath cambered lintel. Towers have single 3-pane lights. Both wings have 2-storey canted bay windows with half-hexagonal bracketed sprocketed roofs to gable ends: windows are 1x and 2x6-pane lights with stone lintels; in gable apex 2x6-pane window is recessed beneath semicircular arch of rubbed brick. Left crosswing has 3-storey projection with half-hipped bracketed sprocketed roof and three wide openings below eaves level. Inner return of each wing has shallow pent-roofed porch with moulded bracketed cornice and board double doors. Windows, regularly disposed, are of 2x and 3x6-pane lights. South-west front: repeats north-east front, without 3-storey projection and stone stack. Windows to gabled centre are all of 3 lights, detailed as above. South-east and north-west fronts: 9-bay centre range of 2 high storeys between 2-storey 3-window cross gables: flanked at each end by outer returns of lower 3-storey wings. Wings each have steps up to glazed and panelled double doors recessed beneath 2-centred multiple order arches of moulded brick: windows are paired 6-pane casements, in two tiers above doors. In centre range, windows are 18-pane segment-headed sashes with moulded stone sills, those on upper floor set beneath arcade of segmental arches on pilasters rising from first floor band. In cross gables, similar windows are separated by 2-storey gabled pilasters and grouped beneath single semicircular multiple order arch of moulded brick. Ground floor windows have segmental heads, those on upper floor square heads and round arches of gauged brick. INTERIOR: not fully inspected but appears little altered, retaining some original fixtures and fittings. (Nuttgens P: Brierley in Yorkshire: York: 1984-: 18-20). Listing NGR: SE5981651116

External Links (0)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SE 59816 51115 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM

Feedback

Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.