SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1026 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.31
Formerly known as: No.21 STONEGATE. House, now shop and offices. Late C17, refronted late C18; late C18 shopfront, altered mid C19; other later alterations. MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of painted render; left return of orange-red brick in English garden-wall bond on chamfered brick plinth; rear rendered: partly hipped pantile roof, with timber cornice and brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Shopfront incorporates open passage entry beneath flat lintel. Curved glazed and sunk-panelled double doors on passage corner to left of 3-light window with moulded mullions. Window framed in plain pilasters with heavy scrolled consoles and pendants at the head, beneath full-width cornice enriched with composition rosettes, festoons and drops. First and second floor windows are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of orange gauged brick, with painted sill band to those on first floor, painted sills on second floor. Moulded eaves cornice. Left return to Coffee Yard: door of 6 panels with carved borders of anthemion and acanthus in architrave enriched with flutes and rosettes, beneath frieze of festoons and putti. INTERIOR: cellar retains fireplace with mid C19 kitchen range. Ground floor: open-well staircase to attic has heavy moulded close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and pendants, and heavy moulded handrail terminating in volutes at the foot. First floor: landing has cupboard door of 2 raised and fielded panels with drawers beneath. Front room has window and door architraves richly decorated with composition mouldings including ribbon and flower, and fret enclosing rosettes; fireplace with satyrs' heads, vines and grapes on jambs, frieze of rinceaux with Bacchus in centre panel; skirting is moulded and dado rail enriched with flutes and paterae. Rear room has 6-panel door and blocked bolection-moulded fireplace. Second floor: from landing, doors of 2 moulded panels in beaded architraves lead to both rooms. Front room has boarded corner fireplace with frieze of ribbons, festoons and paterae and moulded cornice shelf. Back room has plain fireplace with hob grate and plank cupboard door. Attic: two 2-panel doors survive. In the late C18, house was owned by John and William Staveley, carvers and gilders. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 231).
Listing NGR: SE6026752045