SE6052SE ALDWARK 1112-1/14/18 (North East side) 14/06/54 The Cottage (Formerly Listed as: ALDWARK Merchant Taylors Hospital)
Range of almshouses; now single dwelling. Dated 1730; mid C19 and C20 alteration. For the Company of Merchant Taylors. Orange-brown mottled brick in English garden-wall bond on low brick plinth; cogged brick cornice, tiled roof and brick ridge stacks. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 8-window front. 3-panel door at right end, approached by stone steps. Left end altered and linked to Merchant Taylors' Hall (qv). 4-pane sash windows except for 2 top-hung lights, in altered openings which retain segmental brick arches. To right of centre, inscribed stone tablet records the building of the Hospital by the Company in the year 1730 and includes names of the Master and Wardens. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 85-91).
Listing NGR: SE6064752128
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.