County Lunatic Asylum, now an NHS mental health hospital. 1773-77 by John Carr of York; with separate building c1788-96; 1817 range by Watson and Pritchett of York; 1886 extensively refurbished internally with addition of link block by Fisher and Hepper of York; 1908 extension for affluent female patients by Alfred Creer of York.
MATERIALS: orange brick, sandstone dressings, slate roofs
PLAN: a multiple phase complex. The original three-storey, rectangular front range has wide spine corridors with rooms opening off both sides. It originally had a central main staircase, removed to form an atrium and replaced by a staircase block in 1886 built against the centre of rear elevation. This block links the front range to a separate late-C18 two-storey building, which in turn is linked to a long 1817 two-storey range built parallel to the front range, the buildings together forming an H. The 1817 range also has wide spine corridors with rooms opening off both sides. At the south-east end of the 1817 long range is a 1908 two-storey extension.
See https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1259396 for more detailed description.