SE6052NW CLARENCE STREET 1112-1/8/173 (West side) 16/02/88 Groves Chapel
Wesleyan Chapel, now offices. 1881-4 by WJ Morley (Bradford), but dated 1883 on frieze. Light red brick with sandstone dressings; slate roof. EXTERIOR: road front 2 storeys, 4 bays with 2 inner bays raised, projecting and pedimented. Paired doors with fanlights in twin arched porch with keyed archivolts resting on detached columns; impost string, cornice and low blocking course (original balustrade over porch now removed). Flanking segment-headed windows, with apron panels, in architraves. At first floor centre 2 large round-arched windows, with shaped glazing in heads, in keyed architraves with impost string; this section framed in side pilasters and top entablature with WESLEYAN 1883 CHAPEL in stone frieze panels and cornice on paired brackets. Pediment has oculus in tympanum, acroterion and antefixae. Side bays have similar but plainer windows, side pilasters, cornice and blocking course with urns on corner pedestals. Hipped roof with ridge vents. 6-bay returns have windows similar to those in front outer bays; and first-floor string and top entablature. Lower 1-bay rear extension. INTERIOR: a large open preaching box with gallery curved round 3 sides. Deeply-coved cornice to panelled ceiling with raised borders framing large, ornamented central areas. Central pulpit area now partitioned off, as are the choir benches above and the large organ, with panelled arcaded console, framed in fluted composite pilasters and entablature with enriched frieze. Good-quality panelled woodwork throughout. Painted glass in heads of windows with archivolts linked by impost string.
Listing NGR: SE6033952837